01/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Crowley
Hi guys!
I just had to share my experiance that I had with a PT today. First time having a PT, and I just don't know how to feel about the whole thing. The visit started off alright. Just talking and getting to know eachother. Everytime she addressed my husband she talked louder and louder like he was deaf. I kept telling her he can hear you just fine. It didn't seem like she got that. She did a few range of motion things with his arms and showed me how to do it. But then the visit took a strange turn. She started talking to me about putting him in a home. I was very taken back by this. She did this in front of him! He closed his eyes and just checked out. My husband became very upset by this and refused todo anything else with her. She talked about how much care it takes and how much a caregiver can get burned out. Did she not think I knew this? I could not voice at that time how pissed off we were getting over this. I knew that if started to speak I would just not be able to stop screaming at her. She came into my home and gave him a new nightmare that I would place him in a home. Thanks! All I could muster was to tell her he wasn't going to do anymore and he time would be wasted if she stayed. Now I have a mess to deal with. Him afraid if he asks for anything or askes for help to much (is there such a thing?) I will drop him off and walk away. I tried to tell him that will never happen, but the damage is now done. I am calling the company and telling them that she is not to come back, and if that is they way they treat people, they need not send anyone else either. so now we have cried all day, and I am a mess too. I just had to share this tid bit, but i am getting more and more upset as i type. More later.

Pandora, I can not hardly believe what this so called PT did and said to both of you. I am so very sorry she treated you both this way, how completely Stupid and extremely unprofessional that person was. Even common sense should have kicked in her brain. You have every right in the world to be angry and upset. So glad you called the place she came from and let them know how her actions were so so very wrong, to say the least.
I pray for peace and comfort for you and your husband. (BIg Hug)

Wow she definately should be reported..how crappy!

There is really no excuse for her comments in front of him. Let alone to make them at all unless asked. I hope you and your husband can get around the thoughtless comments.

After a lengthy discussion about just what turmoil and emotional damage they have done, I would insist they rectify this. They need to send an experienced nurse or even the managing director to undo this nonsense by explaining to you both that this person they sent was not experienced with his condition, was mistaken in her judgement and has been reprimanded. Every pALS is different and his quality of life could be great for a long while, like my husband's was for years. They need to know that and express it to your husband!

I hope you will update us on the situation!

Unbelievable! Some people have absolutely no clue and no concern for others feelings. I am sorry that you had to endure this idiot. It is understandable why it upset your husband. I am sure that once you can sit down and talk to him calmly he will understand that you will never abandon him. Perhaps his true fear is becoming a burden to you. I know that when I was diagnosed that was something that has always weighed heavily on my mind. Of course my wife tells me that is non sense!

I admire your restraint and your plan to call the service. What a disservice to both of you!

Feel your pain Pandora. The PT for my husband asked if he wanted to build muscle?
You would think these therapist working with muscles would at least know what ALS is.
She didn't have a clue. Just kept asking what strength he wanted to build. We haven't been back.

If I were you, I would call and report her ASAP. I worked in the rehab dept in a nursing home for years. Rule 1, you NEVER talk about anything like what she said in front of a patient, EVER.

I'm so sorry that you both had to experience that. I agree with everyone here. You definitely should do what brooksea says. get someone from that agency to come and make it right. Explain it differently in front of you both. Our first home home nurse when Mom came home from the hospital with her peg tube says, ( infront of me, mom and my aunt) "This is such a horrible disease, and it will just get worse. My brother died from ALS and it was awful watching the progression." I called as soon as she left and reported her and we had a new nurse who explained that what she said was unprofessional and that she was expressing her personal feelings. She was very encouraging and told Mom that everyone was different...it all depended on your outlook, etc. Anyway, the new nurse definitely made us all feel better! Don't let it go...spare someone else!

I'm Sorry! Hopefully, you can find some sunshine today:)

Oh my god where to start?! Horrendous I can't believe that someone could be so ignorant and for a PT to be so unprofessional... The mind boggles. As above - spare someone else by describing/writing down what she did and the hurt this caused. Writing it down might allow you to get it all down without yelling at someone! Hopefully both she and her employers will learn something though I dunno if you are missing that basic level of common sense... Well done on keeping it together - I'm sure most people would have gone crazy which wouldn't have helped anyone.

So sorry for needless pain for you both. We were starting home bound PT on Monday but delayed because of my husband's medical crisis. I will make sure that I monitor anything that is said to him when we are able to start!

Pandora, that is inexcusable behavior. It's not even a PTs place to march in and talk of nursing homes. It usually shows a person who is full of their own importance, controlling and conceited. She has personality issues that her company need to sort out. She will be acting this way with other clients as well, so reporting her will save many other people heartache.
I so hope you can both getvthrough this and have a more pleasant day today.

Definitly let the service know. This was our experience with a PT: She phoned to speak with me about Glen's needs. She was quite taken aback when she heard that not only was he not wheelchair bound, he did not use a walker or even a cane. After a few more questions, she asked me (fairly sarcastically) "Well why is he on hospice!?" It happened that our case nurse was due to stop by about an hour later. As soon as she arrived I told her about the PT. She asked me the PT's name, and rolled her eyes when I told her. She IMMEDIATELY pulled out her cell phone, called the program director and said she didn't want this person assigned to any more of her patients, and that the director should take a careful look because the PT did not have the appropriate attitude to be part of the hospice program! Speaking to the powers that be CAN work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back