Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Petersburg
Hello everyone, I have been going back and forth on whether I would joing a online community or not. I just felt with everyone that attempted to help me that they didn't understand what I was going through. I don't express feelings with my family due to us all going through this( my sister was diagnosed 3 years ago), and my friends and co-workers really don't understand how I feel. So that is what brought to here. I really need people I can talk to that have felt what I have felt and will help me go through these feelings without losing myself in the process. So in saying all of that, I hope I have found a online community that will help me really deal with my feelings, instead of pushing them down. So I am excited about the prospects of meeting new people and feeling comfortable expressing my thoughts. :lol:

welcome, you picked the right place

Welcome to the forums. I haven't posted much as I only joined a couple of months ago. My Dad was diagnosed not too long ago and it has definetely been a whirlwhind of emotions for me. I find this site to have great people and offer a lot of support/knowledge.

Welcome, You'll find support and friendship here. We're all in the same boat.

Thank you all for your support, I feel better already just knowing i have a community of people who really understand me:p:p

Welcome to the forum, but so sorry you have to be here.

I do find it easier to deal with the everyday crap that we have, because others here have already dealt with it, and are still here, giving advice, making jokes, ranting when they need it, oh yes, and sharing tea, while sharing the info we've learned over the months and years. I KNOW I'm a better person dealing with all of this due to you all. And I hope I help others as well...

Welcome, so sorry about your sister, and you had to find us, we are all on this journey together. This is an amazing place to come for comfort, questions and true compassion, and yes a few laughs to raise our spirits. Hope you find that it makes the journey a tad bit easier..(HUGS)

Hi, Shaleta1! Very sorry about your sis.

I see you've found out what all of us know - unless they are living it, they won't understand.

I'm sure you will find lots of support here.

Hi Shaleta1! Sorry you are here but you have found friends who can help!

Hi shaleta, sorry your family are going through this. I know what you mean in terms of that internal debate - I'm a very private & reserved person , have yet to join 'the Facebook' (I only act like I'm fifty but am not actually fifty! ;) ) so this is very much out of my comfort zone. I also feel conscious of wasting people's time - how can you moan when other people are currently going through much worse? I think most people don't know what to say/do to support you & if your own family are in any way disconnected (like mine) or reeling from diagnosis it can be hard to talk to them too. I'm personally torn between mantra of 'don't get upset now, just swallow it now because there's harder times to come'/don't be self indulgent going on about how sad you feel & feeling very very wobbly. I don't know, I hope someone has suggestions as to how to cope or how to let people help. I think repression is getting a big thumbs up in psychology circles these days.. Hee hee...

Hi Shaleta :-D

Sorry about your sister. My sister too has ALS. Seems like every day something changes with her. Welcome to the forum! Much love to you as this is not an easy road to travel.

Y'all let it all hang out! We are here to support you! We know what it is all about. Don't be afraid to post your concerns or frustrations, as we might have or had the same and can help!

You are not wasting our time! We want to help anyone that goes through this, if we can. As you journey on, you will find you will want to do the same.

Shaleta1, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your sister has this awful disease too. This has been a GREAT place to vent, learn new techniques and share stories, whether funny or sad and make friends.

Sallyb, welcome to you too. I know what you mean by repressing my feelings, but in the early days I felt like I was going to burst like a balloon from holding in too much. I now let it out and try not to let it out on other people. LOL Mainly go off by myself, have my moment and then back to "normal" again with a smile on my face. :)

What a roller coaster we are all riding! I'm so glad to have everyone here to understand these feelings!

Ahburst like a balloon I know that feeling! It's a tricky one, I have yet to learn how to balance acknowledging the sadness/grief & wallowing (I am by nature a wallower & negative which isn't the most helpful). Think you have to maybe try to recognise the sadness, when you are feeling really awful & need to go off & bulb somewhere but you sort of have to accept it while you go on trying to suck some happiness from life? Says the girl that has it all sorted - not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back