Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I know, that like Becca, I'm not the only one struggling with this! What do y'all do?

My husband wants to handle all the bills and has changed online passwords in his brilliance and sometimes does not tell me. Then he expects me to know the password. Some things are in his name only. In the recent past, I could take care of it, as they could understand him enough for him to give creditors permission to talk to me. That ain't working now!

So today, he logs on to our online banking and can't access his info, as the last time I called they set everything to my credit for login. His info won't show up (like his credit card in his name). I called support and the lady was like a dang robot! She had to speak to him and I explained the situation and she just said she couldn't help me, I'd have to go to the local bank. I had her hold on to take the phone to my husband. He tried to talk to her, she wouldn't even give it a chance. So he tried using his speech device. She wouldn't accept that! She said, "How do I know that is really him? You have to understand my position. If you have POA and know someone really well at your local bank, they may be able to help you." She totally ignored my husband. She didn't even ask the questions that they normally ask: SS#, DOB, address, etc... Hell, I could just get a voice changer and pretend to be him. I could've had my male neighbor call for him and pretend to be him.

I've read posts in the past where pALS have communicated over the phone. Can this be done and does a financial institution need to honor this form of communication by law? Anybody know?

When we went to the bank, I gave them a copy of the POA. The lady said she would have to send it to their legal department for review! What good is a state approved legal document if no one else approves it?

CJ... you make me so happy I live in California.

Good grief! If I were in your shoes I would start talking about the Americans with Disabilities Act and a lawsuit. I don't know how you kept from reaching through the phone to strangle that woman.

I will be interested to hear how it goes.

POA, for financial, is a pain. I had the attorney come to the house as soon as my sister got her diagnosis to have the paper signed by witnesses and notarized in the presence of the attorney. He told me that if I had any problems at the local bank to have them give him and call and he would come directly to the bank, if need be. The only pain I had was to get her annuity released by an out of state annuity holder. They said they have to review it. I gave them the attorney's name, address, phone, and fax. They contacted him, all the witnesses. If that wasn't enough, they even emailed me an affidavit to have notarized that I have the authority to cash in her annuity. Glad I did that. It is coming in handy paying for caregivers, her Medicare supplement and her Part D plan and all. If I wouldn't have done it, she would have no money at all right now. Even the local bank had to review it. I go to the same branch all the time when I do transactions for her.

It seems that POA varies wildly re their use etc.

In my case with my financial requirement all I did was get one done, drop it In to the branch and presto every thing is covered. I can also do business ie open up accounts etc via email.

I guess it isn't what you know but who as I know the manager well.

With other dealings of the POA all I have had to do is either fax it or scan and email it to them and presto all is good.

Guess we have it easy here

Cheers
Peter

I've investigated TTY for speech/hearing impaired. By law, in the US, companies have to cooperate with the caller using this technology.

Since POA seems to vary with every company, I'm looking into TTY machines. I don't care how much I have to pay for it. I'm so sick of this crap, having to call for him and they won't talk to me and he gets upset. I'll do the typing for him. Sheesh!

CJ,
This has become so difficult for me that I now just pretend to be my Mom. I got sick of trying to explain it all. So the system has caused me to lie. Something I never used to be good at...whatever works.

We sometimes have our son call for his dad when he is here, but that isn't always possible. Plus he can't keep stopping to ask us questions. My daughter had a very old TTY. We set it up but every time I dialed, it just rang and rang. I am not sure if it would work with the newer technology of U-verse or what. Please let me know if the TTY works for someone.

One of the things I have been told is that POAs are state documents. I have not had a single federal department except it, and most banks are federal savings and loans. There are some state banks. That maybe the reason some banks except the POAs and some will not regardless of how much you threaten lawsuit based on ADA laws. Believe me I have tried it. We have even had problems with different branches of the VA system.

We don't have a lawyer, but my state representative (yes, I have even called them) said I probably need to get one. They said we need a fiduciary. It is supposed to have more power than a POA and be accepted by everyone including federal government. They said it is a court document however, so we probably would need a lawyer to help us obtain it.

Wonder why no one explains this at the ALS Clinic, gmk?

LauraW, I've resorted to the same tactics...hate lying...but come on, what don't they get about "she CAN'T talk"?

Hey Laura;

When I ask the social workers about crap like that they always tell me to do what I need to do. Notice they don't say lie but they understand the system and what actually needs to be done for things to happen in a somewhat timely manner.

We have a POA, but I have yet to use it. We have a joint banking account that all direct deposits and all other deposits and withdrawals are made. All bills are paid out of this account. Try to keep it simple, fewer accounts and both of you have control. When he wants to pay bills, make sure to do it together. There are certainly some things our PALS are unwilling to give up TOTAL control over. But when we run into this I just say "you and I are a team, and everyone on the team has job, but anyone on the team should be able to pick up where the other left off, even if it is only for a day or two. Or in our case, pick up a conversation that needs to be had regarding matters that affect the whole family." It is too important to play around with. Good luck.

We also have a joint account. For school loans, I have had people call for Jason, and then I explain, and then tell them that he can sort of answer yes or no questions, but at some point the tricks don't work and there needs to be a way you can fax a copy of the POA to them, or even have his doctor write a paper stating his condition and his limitations and that he is not legally able to take care of his affairs and that his wife is his POA. Sometimes things from doctors help along side the POA.

Also know that SS does not recognize POA and so you need to be the Payee on the account before they will talk to you about his account. Its a pain, trust me.. found out the hard way.

Hope this helps.

*hugs*

Lord I thought Regions bank was difficult to deal with but our branch manager just took the POA document copied it and added it to the account in the computer so that there were no complications with his SSD being direct deposited into the account (his name wasn't on my account). The only people that give me grief are at the social security office, they do not recognize POA, you have to have "their" paperwork filled out. Works great when your PALS can't write. Trying to get things done that we all have to do shouldn't be made harder on us, sad that this world has came to the "you can't trust anyone" mentality, but you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back