Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Cottonwood
We are trying to decide how we are going to handle toileting.

We both would like a toilet with a bidet (wiping him is not my cup of tea), and thought that an extension lifting the whole toilet may make it easier to get on the toilet.

But what will we need when he is too weak to get himself on. I have seen some chairs that lift, but then the bidet becomes obsolete. I have seen hoists that will put him down on the toilet, but how much bathroom space is necessary to use on of those.

Am I missing any better solutions to this situation?

well, if the most important thing to u is not having to wipe him then a bidet is a good idea, for now.
but if he gets to a point to where he cannot adjust himself on the bidet, then you as the cals has to make sure he is lined up correctly so the spray will clean the right areas. have heard its a pain in the butt.
personally we use a bedside commode and a manual lift that sort of keeps him hovering over it.
i know wiping butt isnt the funnest job in the world, but once you get used to it, its not bad. me and my pals goof around about it all of the time.
having an extender on the toilet is a great idea. for long term? not sure. depend on how big your bathroom is. most bathrooms just dont have the space that is needed for a lift and for all the maneuvering.

we had a bidet and my hub loved it--and it was nice not to wipe butt I agree. I say go for it and just know that it won't be the last thing you have for bathroom time. eventually you probably will have to wipe, and I agree, joking around and not taking it too seriously does make it easier. (face it--the fact is it is a stinky job LOL)

I was afraid to wash my hubby in the shower. Once I started doing it, it was okay. I feel the same way about wiping his tush after a bm, but I'm sure it will be easier than I think. We have discussed a bidet, but haven't reached a decision yet. I feel the most important thing is safety. I'm so scared of a fall in the bathroom.

We have a bidet and hubby loves it. Also have a comfort fit toilet which is about 4 inches higher than a standard toilet and makes transferring him a bit easier. There are times when he needs a little extra help with cleanup. No worries, I use baby wipes and the extra thick ones too. It is better for him and easier for me. I try to keep a plastic bag nearby for quick disposal as they can clog your toilet (but only if you use alot).

We bought a bidet, it ran $500, has multiple functions, remote control, ah, and heated seat. I would spend the money again in a heart beat. It also has an enema function which is helpfu and dry functionl. As Liz mentioned, as the disease progresses you will have to do the positioning during the process. We have lots of grab bars around which were helpful while he could use his hands and arms. Now I use them as I'm getting out from in front of the toilet and over the PWC to get to the caregiver controls.
My husband is 6'1" and started out at 200lbs. I'm 5'4" and 125lbs. We don't use a lift but he might be 140 maybe less. Basically I bear hug him and put him on and off. Our lift doesn't quite fit. I run the bidet now with the remote control.

another nice thing about the bidet for me is that many more people can now help me to the bathroom. I can ask just about anyone to help me get my pants up and down, help me up, and position. (What does that say about me? let's not go there...) It helps that I am small, but you get the idea. and by all means, laugh!

Another toileting question, this time about the position of the toilet in the bathroom.

Right now it is parallel with the short wall of the bathroom (a most common position).

I am making some space in the center of the bathroom, and wonder if i rotated the toilet 45 degrees, so it came out of the corner of the bathroom, It would be in a better position for future equipment to help put my PALS in the bidet seat? There would be additional room on the side of the toilet along the short wall.

Any thoughts? ( I have never seen a toilet jut out into the bathroom before.)

I just didnt even ask, i just got baby wipes and cleaned him on up. Now, he doesnt mind as long as he gets clean. I just cannot have him being dirty, so he just had to get over himself and deal with my hygeine issues!

i cannot answer your last question but keep in mind that eventually he may lose his trunk muscles and he wont be able to sit up on the toilet unassisted. with some lifts you can just have him hover over the toilet. so whatever you do with the toilet, make sure that there is room for the lift to be left there while he is in it.

We have a Toto Washlet, which is like a bidet but you don't have to buy the whole system. We just bought the seat, which has all the mechanics of the bidet. It has been wonderful for my husband and has given him his independence longer.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back