Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Westland
I am sure everyone has read that many times. It has all been way too fast for my husband. Started with some weakness in his fingers in April. Head began to droop.. till it was hard to keep head up while walking in June. Very tired in July and final diagnoses of ALS Aug 30 at Henry Ford ALS clinic in Detroit.

I have a million questions.. and these forums have helped answer many of my questions.. I know I'll have many more in the months to come.

Thank you all for being here to give support!
Renee

Welcome, Renee, to the place nobody wants to be. I have found a wealth of information and support on this forum. I also still want to believe that one day I will wake up and find all this is just a bad dream, and Gary just passed the one year mark since diagnosis. Talk about denial! So glad you found this safe place to find advice and vent. Blessings to you and your husband.

Well Welcome to the club! None of us want to be here, but this is where we find ourselves. There is so many good people here and great tips, hints and tricks. If there is one thing any of us here can do, it's understand. We have all either been there or are there now. Any questions, ask them. Nothing is too dumb, small or off the wall. :) Sorry to hear you found your way here, but glad you did.

Renee, Hang in there, and when the going gets tough this is the place where you will find answers and empathy. Good luck to you and your family.

You've come to the right place. I'm sorry you have cause to be here though. There are many helpful PALS and CALS here.
Hugs,
Marta

Renee, So sorry to hear about you dear husband. You will find so much love here and information to help you on your new journey. And remember you are never alone we will be here for you. (HUG)

Renee this is the place none of us ever thought we would be. If I can help let me know:0

Welcome to the forum, Renee and thank you for being there for your husband!

Hi, Renee! Sorry about such fast progression in your husband. I hope it will plateau! I also hope you will find the support you will need here. Welcome.

I am so sorry about your husband. We are all here to answer any questions you have.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Right now I am so overwhelmed. I am losing my mother.. she is in the final days of hospice for a stroke she suffered a few months ago.

I do have wonderful sister-in-laws who are with her.. but still very tuff that I can't be there daily myself.

I do have a question... Karl stays by himself during the day.. he still can walk with a walker but his arms are very weak. He wears elastic waist shorts/pants but because his arms are so weak it takes a lot of energy to pull up his underwear and pants when he changes or goes to the bathroom.

Any suggestions?

Other than just wearing a hospital gown and nothing else. There is a company which you can search for on the internet called Buck and Buck. They make clothing that they will modify for you (for a little extra). You may be able to find something on their website.

Praying for you. Just dealing with ALS is overwhelming enough, let alone losing your mother. (((HUGS))) to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once his hands became very weak, Glen frequently wore basketball shorts. They are designed to be loose fitting, and we got them a size larger than what would be considered "proper fit". We didn't worry about undergarments, just the shorts... they're relatively inexpensive so we had a lot of them. He sometimes needed a little help with that last little big of getting them to his waist, but basically could handle them on his own.

My husband also wears basketball shorts. He just lifts the leg of the shorts to pee, but he can no longer get them up or down. Most days he wears light cotton boxers that are really large, he can't get those on or off either.

Hi, Renee. If he is alone all day then I think a hospital gown is good. Do you have a lifeline or something like it for him to have around his neck in case of an emergency? Bottomless is the way to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back