06/2011
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Hello all
Well has been a busy few weeks. Saw a Dr for a 2nd opinion like he wanted and got the same answer with much explaination. Dr was great he pointed out that DH was yelling and pretty dowright mean to me and son. Of course he said no not now to meds, but was refered for Pallative care.
At the Pallative care meeting he once again lashed out and the DR, nurse and SW were great, and he agreed to take the Celexa YEA.... I have seem some changed in his mood and his outburst of anger is much more declined. We left somewhat frustrated due to our wanting hospice, then inpatient but were told there were many criteria for getting hospice and we would need to consider a Nursing home then maybe talk about hospice. So we are going to call a hospice and see what criteria must be met then he is going to do his living will towards getting into hospice. He did a DNR, and is working on his living will be waiting to meet with Hospice first. He has done his POA, and other forms, going to the bank to put me on his account in the next week or two. He made it very clear that he does not want any extra care should he not be able to talk or care for himself.
Pallative team kept talking about Pnumonia with a feeding tube being very common, is this true? He is up in the air about getting one, and my thought is that should he get one he can always refuse it as a part of his plan should he get to the point he does not wish to live anylonger, and it is the time according to his deisre to not be in a position where he can't talk or care for himself.
I am up and down most nights getting him to roll over onto side due to what sounds like a choaking sound. He is choaking easier but still won't give up the food. He has however made sure he always has something to drink and eats slowly. His memory continues to be affected, as is his moods. Can cry so easy and the laughing outburst get in the was of understanding him. Toward the evening I can hardly understand him so I bought him a dry erase board to write notes on. Bad part is his hand writting has always been so bad we may have to revert to using computer.. but will take things as they come.
Take care everyone
Best wishes..
Well that is about it.. best wishes to all...

Oh Connie, You'll be in my prayers tonight. May God give you strength.

Hugs to you Connie. May God give you the strength to deal with all that is on your shoulders.
Laurel

Connie....about the tube. It doesn't "cause" aspiration or pneumonia. You can aspirate which causes pneumonia if you're not sitting up enough while feeding through the tube as well as for an hour after feeding. Speed at which it is administered is another factor. It's simple and as long as you follow feeding instructions, you will find it to be generally safe - much safer than trying to eat orally if your husband is choking all the time. Take care. Yasmin

Last edited:
Connie, I am saddened that it has come to this point already with your husband. I hope that you will be able to get all those things done smoothly with the least amount of stress possible.

How is your son?

Thanks so much for the support and input. I have to say that the new format tossed me for a loop so I am slow to post reply's. But I got it now amazing how such a little change can cause such confusion. LOL.
My son is doing pretty good, he did have a change from a Honors Math class to a regular Math due to not being able to concentrate as well and the teacher was great when I explained what is going on with his dad. She was so supportive and wanted to help Evan do well in school. He gets all A's and a B so far but that Honor Math was just too much to focus on, he is happy to have that grade up to a B. He wants to do some group or one on one but that has been hard to find and get him hooked up into. The Pallative care SW that works with kids and teens only has hours to 2:00 on certain days and his school hours are until 3:45 so going to work toward a day off due to teacher inservice day so he can talk to someone. He is a right to the point person so he does talk with his dad and I about his concerns and limits so that is very good. For almost 12 he is great with saying what is on his mind.
My thoughts are with you all and thanks again for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back