Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
Northeast
City
Jersey
Would anyone mind weighing in on what you think the best shower chair would be for my Honey PAL. At the moment he uses his PWC for everything. His hands, arms and legs are very weak and relies on my assistance more than his own strength to transfer etc. I believe we are getting to where it may be best if he not transfer in the shower. We had one chair and he wouldn't use it. I think because it was uncomfortable (no cushions) and he felt like he may fall out of it(the wheels were pretty beat). I think something that reclines a bit and will support his head. One was mentioned on a thread before, the Swift Mobile Tilt Commode Shower Chair (AWESOME!). And now that I think about it... I may have asked this question before. Yikes. Well, I was looking before and then we dropped it and now I am revisiting this quandary. The Swift is great and definitely would cover all the bases but it was a little pricey at over $2,500, that plus shipping from Australia (which could be more than the chair!). So my question is, is there a closer place to get one these and cheaper, or is there another brand that has been used and liked that would suit just as well for a better price? :?: Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi KKay, sorry I can't help recommend a similar chair, but when I read your post, I thought it has to be sold here...

Check out this link of U.S. distributors, and see if it's reasonable costs to get your chair of choice from them:
North and South America

Or, you could call one of them and ask for a recommendation for a similar chair that is more available here.

Good luck, and keep us posted, we'll all need this info sooner or later is how I think!

If you look at the top of the tips, tricks forum there is a catalogue of useful items.

AL.

And of course be sure to check with your local ALS Association and MDA loan closets.

Just looked it up and found the Swift Mobile Tilt Shower/Commode chair on sale for $2000. Look at 3tailer dot com or call (800) 251-3638. Product #347323. The company is located in North Carolina. It is a remarkable chair. We replaced the transport chair with this because it was so much more comfortable, and my husband knew he wouldn't fall out of it.

Hi, KKay-I'm in the same position here. We have a shower chair from the loaner closet that isn't comfortable for my husband. ( he says he feels like he will fall through the cut-out opening in the seat!) So I have been researching them as well.
Found 2 others that look good for long term: seat height adjustable, adjustable height headrest, arm rests & foot rests that swing out of the way, tilt-in-place. Both are under $2000 & the site has free shipping! I have ordered from this site before & have found them to be reliable.

Site is spinlife ; search for "shower wheelchairs" - one is ShowerBuddy tilt-in-place; the other is Ergolet "Hera". The latter is very similar to the Swift. But, unlike Missy, I have no hands-on experience with either of these.

We have an older version of the Adjustable Seat Angle Shower Commode Model 1024. I like most things about it, and my husband finds it comfortable. My husband weighs 192. With him in it, it is a little hard to push it up the little incline going into the shower. It is also difficult for me to raise him back to a more upright position after having him reclined, such as after washing his hair. In both of these cases, it might be easier for a PALS who weighed less or had a caregiver with a little more umpth than I have. We do have occasional problems with the footrest assembly falling off and having to be put back in place.
My only other complaint is with it's use as a potty chair. I don't find that the wire bracket system used to hold the bucket is conducive to me cleaning him afterwards. When I was looking at the newer model on the website, it looks as it they have changed this for the newer ones. Hopefully they have already eliminated this problem.
The things I like the most on this chair is that it is very sturdy, the brakes work great, it does tilt back making it much easier to wash his hair and it rolls very easily as long as I am on the flat surface of the bathroom and not on the incline in front of the shower.

Thank you for all of these wonderful replies... I have a little homework and will get on it today. He had such a hard time holding his head up this weekend, he asked for a neck brace yesterday. I can barely understand much of what he is saying. I would say all of this has gotten worse by the day for the last two weeks. I am frightened. This is where everything is about to get really hard and I already feel like both my arms are going to fall off, but my heart hurts worse. Right now I am hoping he will wake up and feel better and I will be able to understand him clearly and he wont tell me to hurry up his shower because he cant keep his head up. I know this isnt probable and saying so seems soo pessimistic. I think that is what I hate the most. Thanks for everything, everyone.

Are you using a bathtub or a shower/wet room. We put in a wet room and used a guardian drop arm commode chair for both showers and going potty. It has padded horseshoe shaped seat. drop arms, padded adj. back rest and adj legs to prevent cutting off circulation in the legs. When sitting just wouldn't work any more I looked at the pricey reclining chairs. Then I went downstairs and pulled out the plastis tri fold lawn chair, that and a hoyer and TA DA a shower fit for a king. He loved it, he wasn't scared of falling and nothing hurt he used to say all we need were palm fronds to wave around.

penny1

Found the shower chair Miss recommended on another site- Patterson Medical.
Easiest way to pull it up is to enter product # in search box: 081499615
Same price; haven't checked the shipping for either site yet.

KKay- given your circumstances, I'd call your ALSA clinic/rep and ask if you can get another shower chair that has the tilt feature. Explain where he is right now with neck weakness and that you need it ASAP! Are you in the greater Phila chapter of ALSA? PM me if you need the contact info for the person who coordinates the loan closet.

Big hug for you; I understand where you are coming from.:(

KKay, having lost the ability to sit up as well as hold my head up, I thought you might want to know that while bed baths aren't as "clean feeling" as a shower, your husband and you may need to try out bed baths. My hospice aide has a basin of water and a wash cloth she brings in after raising the bed with me covered by only a long towel. She brings cleanser in, with the items on the bedside table, and suds up the wash cloth to begin with my face; rinses and dries with a hand towel. She uncovers only a bit at a time to wash and dry, ending with diapering me followed by a clean T-shirt.

Then she replaces the basin with clear water, brings in shampoo...replaces pillow under my head with a plastic covered thin pillow she rolls under my neck. Either with the basin behind my head or on the night stand, she wets my hair with a clean wash cloth. She puts shampoo on her hand and carefully runs it through my hair until my scalp and hair are clean. She rinses by using the basin, and rinsing the wash cloth in it followed by pulling my hair with the wash cloth....and just lays my hair in the basin also. Usually someone is here to take and replace the water until the suds is out. Then she combs it some, removes rolled pillow, replaces normal pillows covered with a bath towel under my head, and combs some more.

Washing a man would be easier--I have long hair. This method is easy on me, as the shower is exhausting now. I resisted bed baths as long as possible, but am tired all of the following day after being showered. As an aside, any of my care givers are invited to cut my hair shorter, but so far it's happened only once.

Ann, how nice of you to take the time to write such a detailed and informative response. I'm sure a lot of people will find it extremely helpful. I imagine it took you quite a while to get all that down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back