Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Wasn't his time cuz of brother Jim!

DaddyO was being a fool today! I enabled him. I hope all cALS will learn from this and stand steadfast, when giving food to their pALS. When the doc says nothing by mouth except soft or pureed foods, LISTEN! Don't give in to temptation. If your cALS wants pizza, put it in the blender with tomato sauce and a bit of broth and cream. Just do it! If they want ~~BACON~~ put it in the blender with navy beans, broth and cream!

DO NOT GIVE IN! I did that today. I almost lost him. I was scared $#!+less! He wanted a ~~BACON~~ sandwich. I gave him the shrew face and said, "No you will have a hard time with it!" He replied, "I won't. MAKE ME THE SANDWICH!" I made it and fed him one bite. It, of course, takes him a while to "chew." I'm watching my son and nephew play a video game as I wait to give him another bite. He starts making the strangling noises and saliva is going everywhere! The look in his eyes scared me! I didn't know if he was having a spasm, as usual, or was choking. OK...I really had an idea he was choking, but didn't want to believe it!

He can still walk (precariously). He was in a panic, flailing his arms and swinging his head. It just so happened my brother showed up to pick his son up as this was going on. My son and nephew were frozen in fear! They started silently crying. I yelled at them to let my brother in, as the door was locked. I was trying to get my husband into a position to give him the Heimlich, but he was walking and flailing and choking! My brother didn't know what the hell was happening and I calmly asked him, "Do you know how to do the Heimlich maneuver? I'm too short." He nods and grabs him and they do a Heimlich dance to the kitchen sink. After 4 tries, my husband is still choking. He's about to go down. My brother finally used brute force and the bacon flies!

My brother literally saved my husband's life! He was about to black out! He would've died. I'm sure of it!

This scared the crap out of my husband. I mean, REALLY scared him. He would not shut up about how he was a goner. I believe him and so should y'all!

Don't let Mr. Reaper get your pALS because he is just plain stubborn about eating solid food, please!

Good advice CJ, but it probably wont work. It is amazing how it takes a close call for some PALS to do what they are told to do. Sad thing is they will not listen until they have the close call! Les was told in Feb that if he continued to walk, he was playing Russian Roulette. It took his almost fatal fall on Memorial day to actually do what the Doc ordered. And, Katie C lost her PALS because he snuck an apple, and developed aspiration pnuemonia.

Last edited:
Oh CJ! I'm so glad that your brother walked in. Hopefully, the point is now made.

I am so sorry for your husband's dance with death and I'm so glad that he is still with you. Thank God for your brother.

Brook, what an experience. Albert Einstein was once asked, what made him so smart?

He said; Not having all the answers, but knowing what questions to ask. paraphrased
We do find ourselves asking questions. What if Jim had not came, just at the right time?
They are greater than our minds can speculate. What control do we really have?

Humbling isn't it?

Brooksea, I am so glad things turned out ok. You were blessed truely. Also a point well taken, I shall remember this lesson and heed the warning myself.

CJ,
This happened to my Mom 3 times...before she was even diagnosed with ALS. The first time her cat saved her. He ran in to tell my Dad to look at her...kept running back and forth in front of Dad then ran in the kitchen. The last time was when she was with me. That was definitely the last. That's when I took her to her dr's apts and she was finally diagnosed. Unbelievably scarey! I too was frozen..CPR and first aid certified and felt like I was going to lose my Mom because I froze. Such a scarey feeling. So sorry you had to go through that. Hope he listens now though!

I am so sorry this has happened. You were both very lucky. Thank you for sharing, as our day is coming and we will be in this same situation. I would give in very easily but instead will remember this and very regretfully, but firmly, say "No". Your husbands' life was saved and you probably just saved my husbands' as well. Thank you and God Bless.

Wow, I know we are there through stubborn behaviour as well. Tom is his own worst enemy when it comes to refusal to eat easier things, do things the easier way, letting other people do tasks and just letting some things go.
I am exhausted trying to continue as housewife AND auto mechanic (oil changes as well as brakes, exhaust leak repair, tire rotation). Rather than continue to wear workboots, I would rather put his running shoes on his feet. Rather than continue to wear the woolen work sox, I would rather put the easier stretching tube sox on. Rather than put sox on a wet foot, wait until it is dry?
OMG this does not have to be so hard.
I am sure that we all get the fact that food the way we used to eat it had a certain -- familiarity -- but really, sustenance is not meant to do harm.
Hoping that this brings a new level of acceptance and appreciation CJ, knowing how hard it is to be a CAL who always seems to be delivering the bad news......

CJ, give him a slap for me and tell him it's time to grow up and smell the coffee (to mix metaphors). Unless he has FTD he has to realize that he cannot eat what he wants. Believe me I know it's hard and what I wouldn't do for bacon but it's time to be an adult.

Proving once again that there are no such things as coincidences... thank God that your brother was there at the right moment, and that the kids got the door unlocked in time.

Can anyone come up with a spray on taste that tastes like bacon? I'd go for that myself.

Wow CJ, why are they so stubborn sometimes!I am so glad that your brother came when he did! I bet them boys were scared to death..bless their hearts. I will surely watch Bruce!

OMG! I completely sympathize with you giving in to his demand for that sandwich--he is not a child and you aren't his mom--but I hope he learned his lesson because it was a hard one! How terribly scary for both of you and the kids and I am so glad that your bro showed up. MY hubby did the same thing--if fact the only time we had to call 911 (yet) is when he insisted on eating corn chips and choked on one. it was the last time he ever insisted on non pureed food...

It must be terrible for them to crave something crunchy and yummy and know they can't have it.

Thank God CJ! Too close a call! I'll bet he follows the rules from now on. He's never choked that bad before has he? xoxoxo!

Can't blame him if he break the rules--it WAS bacon, after all.
Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, BACON, BACON!

Seriously, that look in the eyes is quite singular, isn't it? Makes you appreciate that there is a level of panic that exceeds anything the living have experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back