Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Sneads Ferry
Okay, I feel better now. All I need is a shot of vitamin B12 and a cloning device. Started back to my assistant principal job last week, just after Eric returned home from another hospital visit. Been back to the hospital again and spent the whole weekend there, just getting him home tonight at 5:30 pm. I haven't missed one minute of my job yet but starting to wonder where the #$%! I am going to find my Superwoman pill. Just wanted to get on for a moment while I was finally eating some soup for dinner. First I had to get online and order more Sage products for tooth care, more Beneprotein, then I had to revamp the nursing schedule with all the new notes for what to do after the recent ICU visit. Do any other CALS just go to bed thinking, "I need a substitute for my entire life tomorrow."? I guess I will just get up again tomorrow a pretend that everything is A-OK. I know I am not the only one. Thanks to all of you who help me not feel alone in all of this.

I know what you mean. It's like doing about 3 full time jobs.
By the way, I take a B100 every morning. Supposed to help with the stress and gives you a little energy.

Assistant Principal - IMPRESSIVE! What age kids? You are Superwoman! I was teaching when my husband was diagnosed and ended up leaving mid year because I could not handle the stress of being at work (even though it was a job that I dearly loved) and worrying about whether or not my husband was on the floor or locked out of our condo because he could not open the door. I cannot tell you how much I missed my old life and the every day joy of working with kids. So hang in there! Use that substitute for school when you need to. I hope that Eric is better and can remain home and out of the hospital. You are not alone and you are a BRAVE (but maybe exhausted) soul.
Janis

and remember to come here and scream and vent and whatever when needed!

ahhhh Ditto here... My husband's ALS necessitated an early retirement. I did however, get 35 years of service completed. I sometimes miss that part of my life..... I really loved MOST of my students; just was not happy with the way education was moving. You know the drill: TEST TEST TEST TEST and more TEST. However, my new job as caretaker is just so multi faceted that sometimes I wonder if I am MENTAL. The CARE duties, the research, the cooking, the laundry, the yard, the paperwork, modifications to our home , the contractors who say they will be there (when in 2012?) ... sorry... I guess it is NOT wonderful Wednesday......

Understand the drill and the responsibilities. And understand how is is all up to YOU! Wish I could help in some way. Maybe saying I know what you are going through is enough.

Let me know when you find the "Superwoman" pills! ;)

Hope you get a decent night's sleep!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. Tonight he has a temp of 99.8, heart rate about 115, bathroom issues, and sounding a bit raspy with an almost new nurse. I'm thinking the good night's sleep is looking a bit iffy. At least my boss will be back tomorrow, being two people today was really not what I was in for when I woke up. And since you asked, yes, I am in crazy land. I work at middle school.

OMG Bless you on your job, working with kids who think they are adults, and kids who just are major kids, growing hormones, and attitued that goes on and on... Is it just me or are the kids in middle school tall. I feel like I am in a high school when I visit my son's middle school. Thank you so much for taking on a middle schooler...

Do you have any extended family or friends that could help with the scheduling part? I have learned that asking never hurts and it is not written that 'I" need to DO everything. that maybe the hardest lesson I have learned. As a wife I do everything, as a homemaker I do everything... as a caregiver I can share. Now getting started may be the hardest but worth a try.
My hardest request is not always for him but for myself. The biggest gifts I have received is my dishes being washed, dried and put away and another day my front room vacuumed, and my grand son came and mowed the lawn. That gave me time to be a better caregiver.
We are NOT superwoman or cargivers... that is only on TV. Good Luck Now I do not work out of my home, but we are raising our 41/2 year old great grandson. I have not time to "go to" a job. Keep smiling and keep looking after you.

Blazonr,

Believe me, I am willing to allow any family or friends to assist with these types of tasks. Unfortunately, even my nurses seem like they are clueless on his everyday general care. When I let someone else do it and I don't micromanage, things are constantly done wrong or not at all. Everyone says, "Well, I'd like to help you but I just wouldn't know how to do what you do." I get lots of praises like, "Oh my gosh, I just don't know how you do it." "Wow, you should be a nurse, you are just so good at this." "Oh, really, I would have never thought of that, you're just so smart." But really, I think it is just their way of getting out of the difficult stuff. I am no more intelligent than the rest of them, I think, but I care enough about my husband not to take the easy way out and to dig in and figure it out to keep him as happy and healthy as possible.

I can sooo relate to that.
I get those same phrases too.
How do we do it? We get up every morning and dig in and do it and just keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back