04/2010
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Princess Anne
Hello everyone,
My husband has ALS (was diagnosed April 2010) The disease is progressing to the poiint that he is in a power wheel chair and has great difficulty transferring from chair to bed. etc.
We attend clinic and the doc there has given me a script for a fully electric hospital bed with alternating pressurepoint mattress. My issues is: they have not specified what brand, what model. We are also a client with the VA and I would like to give them as much direction so that my husband gets what he needs. This would include me going to the VA with a picture, model # you get the drift.
I need sage advice from the wonderful people on this site as to what bed works for their loved ones. I am out of my league here as far as expertise goes.
Would you all please HELP!
caretaker advice NEEDED!

Last edited:
Sorry, I cannot help you with that. Just wanted to wish you luck in getting what you really need. Hope someone will be able to answer soon.

The SpanAmerica PressureGuard 80-inch mattress alternated pressure very well.

The Joerns UltraCare XT bed had all the right functions. Raised tall, it made caregiving easy on my back. Down low, it was easily pushed around the room. It had knee up, head up, and TV viewing positions.

They gave us a Hoyer Electric Patient Lift to make transfers easy and safe.

A comment on our Power chair: Tampa VA uses Permobil series. C500 is a little too large for my house. C400 with seat raise, seat tilt, back tilt, feet up is a good one. ROHO variable air pressure cushion.

Then ask for ramps at the house and a door opener that opens and closes the front door by remote control.

THe VA will help a lot with everything from equipment to things like vehicle modification. Contact the Paralized Vets, too for advice.

Definitely an electric bed. I have one at home as I can't get up. You'll eventually want a hoyer lift. Get a bidet for the toilet to help in that area as his hands worsen.

I've always been fond of Invacare--but their mattresses aren't notoriously comfortable--definitely get the extra pressure adjusting mattress (I have one of those, too)

Other PALS will help with more suggestions. They will need to fit him for the proper chair--see if they will do that fitting in your home so you can be sure it'll work where you live.

Edit to add the ALSA loaner closets can loan things while you wait for the VA to order things--even beds and wheelchairs.

Thank you very much. That was a very informative link you sent.
Any one out there, have any VA experience that they can share with me?.
Yes, we have used somethings already from the loaner closet. What a wonderful program, that is! We have a walker, potty chair and a ramp from them. Thank you LOAN CLOSET!

That was sweet of you to wish us well.
Are you the primary caretaker for your husband?
I see that he is coming up on a five year anniversary of LIVING with ALS. !

A lot of us are veterans. In fact, I work at the VA. My wife, a veteran, died a few days ago with possibly the world's fastest progression. She went through every stage, including totally locked in.

VA was very very good to us. We used probably all the programs and benefits they had.

Ask any questions you have. PM me to ensure I know where to look for them.

Since you are working with the VA, ask them for a motorized lift to help you get him in and out of bed. They provided one for my Dad since (obviously) my mom couldn't lift him. It was VERY nice and VERY helpful. I even took a ride in it... if nothing else, it made Dad smile.

Jenn

Hello! Thanks for your advice! Which model and or brand hospital bed do you have for your family member?Can that tilt feature be added to the mattress or does it go on the bed. OHHHH I am just spinning with so much info and trying to make the best choice. I have looked at the Invacare bed and the Joerns Bed. I am close to taking a pic down to the VA. Have contacted the hospital about how I go about asking the doc to add the tilt feature to the scrip. We only go to clinic every 3 months and we were just there on the 4th of this month so I really do not want to just wait until October. I am thinking I will need to call and ask for an appt and bring the scrip to his office.

Just ask him to add it, it will save you later of getting up to turn him and him being uncomfortable, pneumonia and bedsores. It will save your back some. To the doctor stress, movement, pneumonia, bedsores, sleep issues. ALso VA will pay for construction of a trac lift, it mounts on the ceiling or independant you can have it run from his bed to the commode to the shower, to his chair. We have an electric hydrolic lift, but the one's like a hoist are a blessing to a caregiver. Don't be shy about asking for that stuff. They redo the bathroom to make it more handicap accessable.

The VA has offered me one and thank you for this thread,I was going to get into this.They told me I could have it one week after I ordered it and expect info from them on all options.Abbas Child has some very good info on this also,I don't know now what they offer.Good luck hope you get the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back