Jason's Dream

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
As Usual
City
On My Own
So, I had to go to the Social Security office the other day and they wouldn't talk to me about Jason's case or funding. I had the medical and durable POA papers with me, but evidentally, by court order, SS does not recognize POA anymore. So now you have to go through this hurdle of setting up a new bank account, listing you as the "payee", have his doctor confirm they can't do for themselves, etc... then fax a paper with all that info on it, just to talk to them about his case.

I thought POA meant anything legal? So why doesn't the POA mean anything to the SS office, and how did they get around that?

To prevent someone from taking money from those on SSI/SSDI. POA isn't enough to satisfy the GVT, unfortunately. You'll have to go through their hoops, I'm afraid. But--if possible-hand deliver it all to them.

I'm a bit confused---his case? His diagnosis was enough to approve him immediately. Is there some hold-up in that process? Have you not been receiving benefits and Medicare?

Easiest thing I found was to take him with you. We did direct deposit, and my name is on mom's account. The problem is if you are put as his gaurduan and they can talk to you, then you have to provide an expense report and all that. Its was easier to just keep things as they were, my name was already on her account

Last edited:
I'm sorry I jus realiozed in ur other post you can't take him with you. I still have this plan in my head because mom and I share accounts, if her check is deposited because the funeral homes want cash and SS willl freeze that account my first plan I have to do and I hope I keep it together to do it is pull all money from that account so mom's bills and the funeral home can be paid. SSI don't care they pull the money out.

A doctor's diagnosis of "highly suspicious for ALS" is all it takes to be instantly approved for Social Security disability payments. Then the SSA has six months to do its usual months-long inquiry to establish the facts and rescind approval if they decide you don't have ALS.

A doctor's note stating that he is unable to travel should be good, assuming you have his ID.

FIRST, call the SSA's 800 number to establish the case. Then make a "telephone appointment" so an adjudicator can call you for a 30-minute interview.

FINALLY, hand-deliver these original documents: the social security cards and birth certificates for everyone in the family, your marriage certificate, and your checkbook. They'll want the names and addresses and phone numbers of his previous employers for the last 5 years.

We had a letter from the neurologist that says "permanently and totally disabled and unable to work" for the remainder of his life due to ALS.

You probably already know this, but anyway:
The SSA considers ALS to be a “Compassionate Allowance,” meaning that the disease is so severe that you automatically are considered disabled. You get SSDI as soon as the diagnosis is confirmed.

An “allegation” of ALS might be sufficient:
Code of Federal Regulations Title 20, Section 416.934 says there are nine conditions (including ALS) that can be approved for SSDI without any medical evidence.

BE SURE TO ASK for a Quick Disability Determination. The guy at SSA just enters you into his computer, and the computer approves you for SSDI. ALS is in the SSA Blue Book, condition number 11.10.

“anyone with ALS established by clinical and laboratory findings as described in 11.00G will be found disabled. For purposes of meeting the listing, documentation of the diagnosis must be by generally accepted methods consistent with the prevailing state of medical knowledge and clinical practice.

The evidence should include documentation of a clinically appropriate medical history, neurological findings consistent with the diagnosis of ALS, and the results of any electrophysiological and neuroimaging testing. A negative test result will not preclude a diagnosis of ALS if other clinical findings are present that are consistent with ALS and other potential disorders have been ruled out.”

We brought reports from the blood lab, spinal and brain MRIs, and an EMG tape with the doctor's notes. Overkill.

Plus, there’s no waiting for Medicare:
Public Law 106-554 amends section 226 of the Social Security Act to waive the 24-month waiting period for Medicare coverage for disabled individuals medically determined to have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.

I'm assuming you already have a joint account--and if he's already approved--what is it you need from them at this point? His medical records you can access from his POA via his doctors.

Is thee something specific you need from the SS people? Atsugi is right--do as much in person as you can. They are famous for 'losing' things.

Another thing to check into.... Glen's company, as part of his benefits, provided us with a company that actually advocates for patients applying for Social Security benefits. They did 99 percent of the paperwork, handled 99 percent of the phone calls... and if I got any backtalk from SS, the company handled it. I always suggest people check with their HR department to see if something like that is available. Anything that would take one more job off your hands!

I did everything for my husband online and through the mail. Piece of cake. Approved in a matter of weeks, benefits at six months on the nose.

Thank you everyone.

He already has disability. The ALSA worked amazingly with Jason's doctors when he was first diagnosed and within the month we were receiving benefits.

The only thing that is a bit of a snag is that they can not go into his account and talk with me to see if he has been over-paid or under-paid without me being a payee on his account. Other then that, there is no need for it. But I was quite surprised that the social security office can ignore a legal document like that. Jason's doctors are wonderful and have already signed off for it. They automatically do whatever comes through for him, they have his back, which think is awesome. So its now just a matter of getting a paper from the social security office, then taking that to our bank and seeing if we need a new account or if they can note our current account that I am the payee. Just a bit absurd I think.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back