Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Krissy is gagging on phlegm and choking on saliva all day and all night now.

We don't want a trach.

I can't imagine she will last much longer. She seems very healthy even though she cannot feed herself or hold a glass of water.

Any thoughts on how to relieve this particular evening of suffering?

Refresh me, is Krissy bulbar? Bruce coughs, chokes on his saliva something terrible. Is she pegged?

My suggestion would be a PEG if she doesn't already have one so that all food and drink can stay out of the mouth. The other question would be does she wear a patch or take other meds to help dry the secretions? We also use a suctioning machine to suction the rest of the secretions out of the mouth for him. You could try some cough medicine for tonight to help dry things up until you can find another solution.

My husband had a severe problem with mucous in April. The only way he survived was with the cough assist machine. We scheduled a peg tube placement within a month. Things are much better and he has gained back 5 pounds. Bev

Cough assist machine should help wonders as well as a suction machine.
Hang in there! Call your VA social worker 1st thing and be sure they expedite your requests. Good luck! Hugs

For some immediate relief.. try some children's mucinex to help thin the phlegm. It comes in 2 forms... either strips, or a powder. Either can just be placed in her mouth to dissolve.

Thanks to all. We don't want the peg or anything invasive. She just wants to go happy.

We tried the BiPap and Cough Assist. Her lungs were clear and the phlegm removed, but she was still mouth breathing and desaturating.

So she's inpatient tonight on morphine. If she's with us tomorrow, I ... I guess it will be another day.

Stay strong!

Dad has peg tube and trach but we still have problems with phlem and salava. They prescribe car sick patches to go behind his ear and it helps reduce the salava. Hope this helps and am saying a prayer for you now.

Suction machine will bring her tremendous relief. I used to suction my mom continuously probably every hour or so. We also did several meds to dry the secretions.

Thinking of you and your family. Hope she will be able to come home.

Hope you will let us know how things are going.

A cough assist machine will mimic a cough and get all the junk up in her mouth and then a suction device will get all of that out of her mouth. If she is having a hard time with food and drink, is she pegged? Has she told you her wishes on when things change, what she does or does not want?

My thoughts are with you at this time.

suction machiine, demand one from hospice there is no sense in choking to death on spit and phlim, suction machine and a yanker, may even have to jus leave it on for her if she can't switch it on n off. some have managed to rig up a foot switch or head switch if you get a table mount one

My husband started "gagging" on phlegm built up during the night, just about a week ago. I phoned our ALS Clinic and they suggested using a nebulizer with salbutimol and mucomyst. It has completely thinned the secretions and now, even with the weakest cough, Bob can bring whatever secretions up (not always easily) but definitely with less effort than before. It's non-invasive and works! The nebulizer was provided by our Home Care team and the meds were prescribed by the ALS team. The ALS clinic had these available for our use but Home Care just happened to have one and the RT was planning to come out for a visit anyway. Bob is using it 4 times a day now. Try it!

We use a lung volume recruitment device and it works for general coughing but Bob found it difficult to use when he actually could feel phlegm in his throat. It didn't help. He uses it faithfully at least 3 or 4 times a day otherwise. Take care all of you.

Thank you all. The nebulizer and cough assist work wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back