Diagnosis
07/1995
Country
US
State
TX
City
Spring
A while back someone posted a link to a website that showed different slings. I was wondering if someone still has that link.

We have 2 lifts, a Trixie lift that the VA got us years ago and a hoyer that we got from the MDA loan closet. We also have multiple slings. I can use both lifts and have watched demos on the the internet as to the proper way to use them. My problem is that regardless of what sling or lift we use, the parts of the sling that go under the legs do not stay there once I start lifting him. I asked a PT at the VA about this and she said she had never figured out how to keep them from sliding up to what she referred to as "the ballpark area".

They don't seem to have this problem with the videos I watch on the internet, and I can't really see anything that I am doing differently.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Karen

Was it this site?

ALS: From Both Sides

And when you speak of the sling sliding up to the "ballpark area", is it moving toward the knees or toward the groin? I'm sorry to sound dense, but everybody's euphemisms are different and I don't want to jump to the wrong conclusion before advising. Thanks.

The sling needs to cross in an X pattern under the legs. The right leg of the sling attaches to the left hook of the Hoyer, and the left leg of the sling attaches to the right hook of the Hoyer. The butt still hangs out the bottom, but the legs are comfortably supported.

Also, the straps need to be adjusted. We use the longest length for the two leg straps, but use a shorter length to support the torso straps.

Walk into a nursing home and simply ask the director for a favor: you need a demonstration. They do it correctly dozens of times each day.

Thanks Atsugi,

I am crossing the straps and use the shortest for the back and the longest for the legs. I am wondering if maybe they are not the right size or type for him. He still weighs almost 200 lbs.

The nursing home is a great idea. I don't know if I could get away to do it though. Still will check to see if there is one close by,.

Absolutely go to a nursing home. Attitude is everything. I'm always able to find people who will help, because I assume they welcome the opportunity to help someone. Smile a lot.

This works for us, you may wish to try it. What we do is put the top straps on the shortest strap and on the bottom straps we have put extension straps. They add about nine or ten inches to the length. Instead of crossing the straps we put them under both legs so they stay together. So the left strap goes under both legs and then the right the same. When putting the sling on I make sure to tuck it firmly down around the hips/back. If it is not tucked in properly it will ride up too high. We use a large size sling and last time he was weighed my husband was 280 lbs. We do it this way as it allows him to be in a more upright sitting position which helps his breathing.

Thanks Chris

Was it this site?

And when you speak of the sling sliding up to the "ballpark area", is it moving toward the knees or toward the groin? I'm sorry to sound dense, but everybody's euphemisms are different and I don't want to jump to the wrong conclusion before advising. Thanks.

It is sliding up toward the groin area.

Chriss, that sounds excellent although I didn't know they made extensions.

Thanks everyone.

The best way to test the lift and sling is to get in it yourself. You will "feel" how it works. It doesn't matter if the sling is too big for you. I would probably take a small to medium, and my husband's is an extra large. To keep the straps from slipping, I hold the two straps (crossed) forward while raising the lift.

FYI: I've tested all of my husband's equipment - BiPap, Suction machine, Cough Assist, Lift, PWC, Dynavox with eyegaze, etc... That way, I understand what he is talking about and, to some degree, how it feels to him.

My husband took my sling to the shoe repair shop had extra straps added to the back straps so they wouldn't slip

Was it this site?

This wasn't the site, but it was a very good one. I loved their link to clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back