Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wilmington
Last summer just about this time I posted on the forum that our son was deploying for tour number four. We are weeks from his homecoming and cannot wait. Sean was home during March for R&R but it just isn't the same as when they are home for good. While he was home he bought his dad a large flat screen, HD TV with all the bells and whistles because he knows how much his dad loves a good baseball game and is an avid news watcher. It was pretty special for both of them.

Since March Tom has declined some and has begun to use a cane. He has also lost an awful lot in his arms. The day after our anniversary in June the neuro told us he believes what he thought was brachial aymotrophic displysgia (spelling is probably wrong), a variant of ALS, is now ALS as all limbs are involved. Sean is not going to appreciate this decline at all even though as ALS goes it is slowly progressive at this point. He will not appreciate that just yet; he needs about three or four months to decompress from combat before he can hear such things.

We have Sean's truck in the driveway and his motorcycle in the garage. We will get the motorcycle up on the truck and my daughter will follow us to Ft Campbell in the car while I drive the truck. He will be boots on the ground in early August. Even though it will be a challenge we are all excited. Somehow being able to see our son come home, not once, twice or even three times but four times from combat surpasses all the sadness that we sometimes hold in our hearts from this godawful disease.

I read the posts on this forum every day these days and learn so much that I thought it would be nice to post an update. Last summer so many of you offered encouraging advice and thoughts on how to handle this deployment and my husband's ALS. It was all good and useful, thank you.

Mary, so glad to hear that your son is coming home for good, praying for a safe return... and that your husband's progression will remain slow.

Thank you so much for raising such an awesome son who would be willing to serve our country 4 times! Please thank him for me.
Sorry about your hubby... I wish you all the best.

Mary I am sooooo Happy for you and your family for the safe return of your son!...:)

So sorry about the diagnosed for your husband, my prayers are with you all. Have a safe journey and return home...((HUGS))

A salute for your son from this navy vet!

I hope all goes well and your son gets home safely!

Thanks for the update. Hope you will keep us informed!

Four tours. Holy crap.

During my 20 years in service I deployed a whole lot, but never once to combat. On the other hand, my dad fought 3 wars and was a prisoner in one, and it affected his family, me, and even my own family in a way. PTSD is insidious. I wish you all the best of fortune.

Thank you for the support you give to your service members and to your PALS.

Wonderful that your son is coming home. It's great to hear some good news!

Let's hope he never has PTSD but you never know. He is an infantry scout guy and has seen and done alot. He is pretty good at taking care of his mental health. Thank you everyone for your kind words, it means a lot. He is craving pizza right now! In fact he seems to be craving lots of stuff! Our goal is to take the focus off his dad's health and focus on the homecoming.

I agree cervus it is nice to have some good news for a change! I will put up pictures afterward; the homecomings are wonderfully touching in every way. Now if we can just get them all home from over there we would really have cause to celebrate.

Great news! One of my three soldiers just returned from Afghanistan to Germany. He will get t Fort Bragg in October; last time he saw me was before I began testing. He's seen pictures and been updated, but coming face to face is different.

Great news! One of my three soldiers just returned from Afghanistan to Germany. He will get t Fort Bragg in October; last time he saw me was before I began testing. He's seen pictures and been updated, but coming face to face is different.

We are about an hour or so from Ft Bragg. My son always takes a few months to decompress when he comes back so he adding his dad's stuff into the mix will be a challenge for him as well. We are here for him and will help him adjust as much as he will let us.

Will you get to see him in October? How different are you now than when you last saw him? I imagine it will be a challenge for all of you - so many emotions pent up for so long about his safety and your health.

Three soldiers? Wow, you have my unending thanks for your family's service and it is the family who serves together, isn't it? I just read the other day that less than 1 percent of the population is active duty. We are a small club and have to stick together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back