Diagnosis
07/2011
Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
Lr Sackville
One week ago tomorrow my mother-in-law was told she has ALS. She is 80 years young. We were expecting something but not this - ALS. Shirley has always been active, vibrant, and the one everyone could count on whether or not you are family or friend. We jokingly tell her health professionals that she has more energy than we all do. Her beau used to take her dancing at least three days a week. Now maybe once a week but at least they're still dancing, right. She tires easily now. She's self conscious about her speech and we tell her to take her time, no need to try to rush what you want to say. Shirley lives alone at the moment - my husband and I have invited her to live with us. She hasn't said yes, or no. I know she knows she can't live alone much longer.

Her doctors are sending her for a MRI but say it may take a couple of months due to the summer months and people being on vacation. In the meantime I'm doing all I can to find out what to expect with ALS. I realize no two patients are alike; therefore, nobody can predict how this will effect her. I think that's probably the worse - the not knowing.

The news is starting to sink in and I'm sad. :sad:

Thanks for reading,

M

Get her registered with ALS Society right away. They will send you a folder with questions and answers that you probably don't even know how to ask if you're anything like me. Also, Google ALS Support Groups for her area. They are invaluable regarding moral support, loner equipment, answering questions, will give you their phone number to call for any reason, can expidite the system regarding disability benifits. They'll help in getting Hospice when/if the time comes too.
Let any of us know if you have any question. Yes, it truly is a bummer but the best thing you can do for her is to keep your spirits up.
Sending good thoughts your way Dear.
Marta

Sorry about your MIL! I'm sure you find much support here.

I wish you and your family the best in dealing with your MIL's diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back