In search of a friend or two or many more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epkennedy

Distinguished member
Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Maine
City
New Gloucester
My days blend together. I've stopped working my full time job. The boys are angry. I'm gaining weight (stress eater). But then it hits me hard... It's not about me! It's about my dying husband who may not live to see our youngest graduate pre-school. A man who served his country with honor & dignity is fighting for the respect he deserves- to be medically retired from the Army.

I am new to this forum and thus far have have gained so much encouragement & strength from so many who live the life of a caregiver to someone with ALS. I look forward to reading more posts & replying in hopes my words bring hope & strength to others. It's a huge relief to learn I'm not alone.

ep,

Welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry your husband is being ravaged by ALS and I pray you find an added boost to your tool arsenal via this forum.

As the wife of a middle aged Veteran fighting ALS, welcome. We are here to support each other. If you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome to the club that no one wants to join.
I've learned to focus, not on the dying, but on the living each day.

In the spirit of helping, may I throw some random thoughts your way?
- The VA calls ALS a "presumptive" disability. That is, if he served over 90 days of active duty since 1990, and has been diagnosed with ALS, then the VA will presume that it is service-connected, and give you compensation, equipment, therapy, home health aides, a vehicle, and cash. They also give your kids a free college education.
- The army and the VA are totally different agencies. If the army discharged him because of the ALS, then BOTH the army and the VA will compensate you.

After the initial tears, we decided to focus on understanding our situation matter-of-factly, and take each day's "little victories" with joy. It seems to have worked for us.

Thanks all!

Atsugi- yes, fortunately we were made aware of the VA & it's resources rather quickly. As far as the army tho, he has not been discharged. We refuse to sign any paper work that mentions discharge. His file has made it up to Army Sec. McHugh. It's my husband's will to fight this through & through.

Question tho, how does one get the army AND the VA to compensate if soldier has been discharged?

Welcome EP. I'm sorry you're here but welcome.

Thanks all!

Atsugi- yes, fortunately we were made aware of the VA & it's resources rather quickly. As far as the army tho, he has not been discharged. We refuse to sign any paper work that mentions discharge. His file has made it up to Army Sec. McHugh. It's my husband's will to fight this through & through.

Question tho, how does one get the army AND the VA to compensate if soldier has been discharged?

Hi

There are many here that can answer you VA and military related questions. I would suggest a separate post with VA and Army in the heading to attract those folks.

Glad to see you found the forum. It's a great place!

Yasmin

Sorry about your husband, mine was diagnosed the end of last year..Hope you find lots of friends here:)

Yasmin is such a pretty name..

HAVE YOU GOTTEN A REP FROM THE PVA, YET? The VSOs are the most knowledgeable.

Yes- our PVA is fantastic- very on top of it & knows the ins & outs. Also have worked with the wounded warrior project- another great resourse.

Hi
I am new here too, and when we met with our ALS Soc. rep she asked about my husbands prior service. He was reserve in the 60's and not deployed so does not qualify but she said that the Paralyized Veterians of America help out with those who have served our country and had ALS. Try to get in touch with your State ALS society and PVA.... Hope that this was helpful, being a total newbe here I tend to sit back and learn. If you ever want to drop me a note...

Welcome to the forum. If I can help in anyway please reach out. I am just starting the process with the PVA.

Hi
I am new here too, and when we met with our ALS Soc. rep she asked about my husbands prior service. He was reserve in the 60's and not deployed so does not qualify but she said that the Paralyized Veterians of America help out with those who have served our country and had ALS. Try to get in touch with your State ALS society and PVA.... Hope that this was helpful, being a total newbe here I tend to sit back and learn. If you ever want to drop me a note...

DEPLOYMENT IS NOT NEEDED TO QUALIFY. SEE THE PVA. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back