06/2011
Country
Uni
State
TN
City
Memphis
Hi,
My dad was just diagnosed with ALS. I started the paperwork today with our local VA chapter. He is still in the early stages and only has lower motor neuron complications now. His arms and hands are mainly effected. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with the VA and what assistance I should apply for. My father is divorced and lives alone. I will be his caregiver when that point comes. I noticed the VA doesn't pay as much for home modification of a family member. I'm just confused by all of this and don't know where to start.

My father served from 64-68 and was in Thiland when they sprayed the agent orange.

Thank you for any advice.

Contact your local Paralyzed Veterans Assn. They will really help you with all of the paperwork and explain the benefits. Good luck. We're here if you have questions.

I just noticed that you are from Memphis. You are welcome to contact me anytime. I've learned to maneuver the VA pretty well! Have you talked with Beth Bumgartner (ALSA Patient Care Coordinator)? She has my contact information.

Sounds like Miss will be an excellent guide for you, Artist. My first thoughts:

Ensure your VSO is the best: VA really has a LOT of benefits available for ALS. In fact, your PVA rep should be so energetic and knowledgeable, that he initiates a whole lot of claims without waiting for you to ask. Otherwise, call another PVA.

Benefits are granted AFTER each symptom is documented: If your Regional Office evaluates your dad as Service Connected for ALS, stay on top of his progression and get a VA doctor to document the new symptoms immediately, so that you can increase his Special Monthly Compensation without delay.

Expedite things the painless way: Ensure you make a big lasting positive impression on everyone you meet. When you are personally well known, benefits and appointments tend to get expedited for people they have some connection with.

Regarding home mods: The people in charge of each program know when/where/how they can waive restrictions. They will see that your dad has an excellent daughter/caregiver, and will be amenable to granting a whole lot more money than you might think.

Also, go to the (non-VA) website, Veterans Benefit Network at http://vets.yuku.com. There you'll find a lot of experienced vets (and retired VA employees) to give advice.

I'm not good with links, but if you put in VA you will see there will be all sorts of aid,even allowances for vehicles, etc. Welcome and I hope you find all the support here that you'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back