Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Fenton
Hi, my husband is in the process of being diagnosed with ALS, we have an appointment July 12 with a neurologist that specializes in ALS. he has alot of the signs, speech, phlem, drop foot, muscle twitching. There is a support group in our town, I will be going to a meeting next Monday nite. I can't get my head wrapped around this. He doesn't believe it, so he's in denial, but I notice he's doing alot more things outside,clearing land and making a lean to for another truck.

We're both in our 70s, I just had a liver transplant last may 2010, everything was finally starting to get back to normal and now this, unbelieveable, but I suppose everyone feels this way. Oh well one step at a time I guess. I just joined this site and this is my first post.

Bella

Hello Bella
I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago, husband came home for Dr. appointment with another for the next day saying they want to talk with you, right then I knew it could not be good. He has poor verbal control and tone, muscle twitching, and today noticed tremors in his hands while trying to hold silverwear. He also has a very hard time swallowing without choking. It is great yanou have found a group, we meet with our area ALS society on Friday and at the end of the month with MDA. MDA has a clinic in our city so we will be able to utilize that and from what I have learned about both groups they help with any accessory needs that may come time to use.
You have found the right place and I have to say in the week since I joined I have learned much about this terrible disease, I like to know what will come and what to expect so I have a plan on where to go with it.
Take care

I'm hoping your husband will get a different opinion from the ALS neuro. If not, we are here for y'all. I wish you both good luck in the coming days.

Welcome, Bella. You have joined a great group. None of us are ever prepared for this but we are all going to get through it. Together we cry, laugh, share concerns and hope. Denial is a very real part of our walk, and it has its purpose. It too will pass and other states of mind will come and go as well. Take one day at a time, don't start jumping ahead, work with where you are. I am glad you are going to the local meeting, there are resources to be had and they can connect you. Hopefully the neurologist finds something else.

My thoughts are with you. This is such a difficult stage - diagnosis. Things will settle down. Keep in touch. There are so many wonderful people here that are ready, willing and able to help support you.

Bella (lovely name),

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear the initial suspicions by medical folk.

I'm holding out hope that this next round of testing will come to a different conclusion.

Bella, sorry to hear that your husband may have ALS. I won't lie to you - it is a dreadful disease. You are right. It is one day at a time. You know from your surgery that time helps heal, but with ALS it is the opposite. You and your husband will be in our prayers and thoughts. For now, give it some time to sink in and then plan to do anything that will make the two of you happy. This forum is a great place to come for support and answers to the many questions you will have. We even understand when you feel like screaming -"why us?" My husband was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. Janis

Welcome Bella. Hope we can be of some help.

AL.

Sorry you are having to possibly join our group, I hope he gets a different diagnosis.

Sorry for your pain. My husband was one of the ones who self diagnosed himself from the Internet which NO ONE should do but unfortunately he was correct. His PCP sent him directly from her office to the neurologist and his doctor started running EMG and nerve conduction tests the very next day. This has been a six month ride of emotions but this is a great group of people with a common goal.

HI Bella;

I am so sorry that you are getting one thing after another. I got my diagnosis by telephone....so I know that it can be hard to receive. I hope you find some support and solace here. Its a great group.

- Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back