Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
AK
City
Anchorage
Not sure if this is the right place to put this! Yesterday our neighbor and her two teenagers swooped down the driveway in her suburban and announced that they were going to mow our yard. I have been feeling overwhelmed with all the house and yard stuff that needs to done - there was such a sense of relief, disbelief, and gratitude that I CRIED! They brought 2 lawnmowers and a weed whacker and started to work, and with three of them the huge area was done in no time. I love looking out the window without having my eyes stop at the sea of dandelions.

I will never forget being on the receiving end of such and kind and thoughtful act. Does anybody have an idea for how I can thank them?

OMG that is fantastic!

I would have cried too and I have neighbours that might just do that somtime. They obviously think very kindly of you and you must be a great neighbour to them. Bless them and you.

We too have some wonderful neighbors who we had never met before Eric got sick. They bring food often and just let us know they are thinking about us. There are some wonderful people in this world. I wonder if they really understand how much it means to us in the position we are in. When people ask how Eric and I are doing, I often comment, "We are doing pretty good for the shape we are in." What else can we say.

What wonderful neighbours you have. Thank God. It reminds me of when we were snowed in this year. I came out of my moms house with a shovel to find a neighbour there just finishing off digging out our wheelchair van. I had never met the man before and was so overwhelmed with his kindness. I tried to thank him & he literally scurried away. It struck me that perhaps he had wanted to do it without attention or acknowlegement. Maybe your neighbour just wanted to do this for you.

What a wonderful act of kindness and a great example that mom has set for her teens! :) As the parent of two teens myself, I think a GREAT way for you to say "thank you" would be by baking some cookies and bringing them by.....my kids are HIGHLY motivated by all things edible and sweet! :) Thanks for sharing this nice story.

Mary

Three of my neighbors fired the guy I hired to mow the lawn last year and have been doing it ever since. Yesterday, they were out there mowing and seeding the lawn. Amazing people. Since we have a pool, I have opened it up to all of them. Through the year, I get cards and small edible treats for their young children. Nothing I do could begin to repay their kindness.

That's a wonderful story! You never know where help will show up. Glad for y'all!

That's a great read, good on them.

I am surprised every week at what people do for each other without asking

Cheers

Peter

It is hard to convey to helpful people just how much their assistance means to you. There have been many times that I have been so touched by the generosity of others and their thoughtfulness that I couldn't think of the words to adequately thank them let alone repay the kindness. It is always a good thing to give to others when possible, no matter how small or large the gesture. When people help you it is because they feel they can and want to help and find a way. They don't expect to be repaid, just as you wouldn't if the roles were reversed. Either tell them in person or write a note and put it in their mailbox to say thank you. It can be very simple, "THANK YOU!" or you can add how touched you were by their thoughtfulness. Clearly, they know you have a lot on your plate and they probably aren't even expecting that. Afterall, if roles were reversed would you expect anything?

That is awesome! I too have phenomenal neighbors that have done so much for us, without asking. And family, too. There are good people in the world who do good things.
Love and light
Meg

I had neighbors do the same for me the other day...I made a loaf of homemade banana bread and brought it over to them as a thank you!
Tracy

This winter when the snow was 24 inches high in my driveway I woke up one morning to a large tractor in my driveway. Being fairly new to this town I did not know many people when my husband was diagnosed in December. This man not only removed all the snow from the drive but scraped it back across the yard so it would not just blow back. I as well cried. Since that day several neighbors were showing up at the door with soup, homemade bread, cinnamon buns, cabbage rolls and sometimes just to visit with my husband to allow me time to get groceries etc. I went to the store and bought pretty note cards. Each act of kindness that they saw as a small thing meant the world to me. I thank them at the door but also send a small thank you note through the mail. These acts of kindness and acceptance in the community truly set my husbands mind at ease about weather I would be ok after he was gone. There are angels amongst us!

Our grass was "mysteriously" getting cut - until I caught our neighbor in the act! Then the last time I discovered the neighbor's neighbor (a couple doors down from us) helping too - I don't even know them. There is really not much more that could have touched me so much.

My mom ran into them tonight when picking up the kids and went over to thank them. I finally got my lawnmower fixed this last week so that I could try to keep up with it. The neighbor told mom "good - we are working on a volunteer "network" to do the yard work but it is easier when the mower is already there."

It often amazes me the ones who step up to help you!

My parents too have been blessed with fantastic neighbors - one I asked what I could do for them they told me just to play it forward. They said they bekieved in what goes around comes around. I try to remember that in my everyday life.

thats wonderful if only thier were more neighbors like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back