Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
My husband has severe foot drop on his left and early signs on his right. His feet hurt, especially after being on them for any length of time, and especially after walking. Which makes perfect sense with all the slapping that his feet do on the floor. The problem being that when he wears shoes or extra support, he finds himself tripping more. Which again, makes sense considering the foot drop.

So at night, I rub his feet to try to provide a little relief for him. I am also going to give him a pedicure to see if that helps relieve some of the pain.

Any other suggestions or something I am missing? He is being fitted for his AFO tomorrow, but am not sure how much that will help. I am not familiar with them at all.

I appreciate any help or ideas.
Love and light
Meg

I have found that my dad's foot drop has improved since his physiotharapist has been aware of it and is working with him on improving his ankle movement and such. He has exercises that he does every day at home involving a small weight being put on his foot and him flexing his ankle and knee with the weight there.

He also sees a pediatrist who deals with his feet because he has poor sensation in his feet and toes. She massages his feet and cuts his nails and he is very happy about it because since he is also on blood thinners he is scared about us cutting his nails just in case we draw blood from a cuticle or somthing.

You may want to consult a pediatrist or your doctor might be able to suggest some course of treatment that might help with the foot drop.

Meg, the AFO will help greatly with the foot drop. In the little bit that I'm walking now my AFO really helps me stop tripping over my big toe.
Good luck
Barry

Scott's been wearing the AFO on his left leg for approximately three weeks now and it has helped him tremendously! He's not fallen since he started wearing it. He started wearing an AFO on his right leg last week. It's taking some getting used to having them on both legs....but he is walking much better now and his feet/legs don't seem to be quite as tired and sore. Hope your hubby gets some relief once he's fitted and adjusts to wearing the brace. Good luck!

if no one has told you, he will need bigger shoes to fit over his new AFO's. Common sense here, but i know it gets overlooked alot. maybe find a wide shoe...

i used my regular shoe but just took the insole out, no larger size required.

guess i lied then... LOL

Sorry Liz, maybe I just have big feet (or a big mouth)?

well, you know what they say about big feet.........
big shoes.
what were YOU thinking? naughty

Well, not to take this thread away from foot drop and AFOs but I'm pretty much always thinking naughty ;);)

Geez....ask a simple question and get dirty, naughty replies. :lol:

So last night, I soaked his feet in a foot bath solution that I picked up at CVS. After about 30 minutes, I rubbed them down with Gold Bond lotion and he said that they felt a lot better. Keep in mind he has never liked to have his feet touched at all. So, progress I think.

Thank you for the advice on the larger shoe. We will have to take that into consideration as we move forward.
Love and light
Meg:smile:

Meg, I have to mention what I thought when I saw your thread heading PALS Feet. My friend has a horse named Pal and I immediately thought someone was posting about his feet <LOL>. Horses tend to have problems with their feet so my first thought was about horses.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back