Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
It is 12:01 in Memphis. That means it has been officially over 1 year since my husband was diagnosed. He can no longer use his arms, hands, legs, or voice. He is beginning to choke - alot. I cannot believe this disease has ravaged him, and our family, so much in just 1 year. Yesterday passed without any mention of where we were a year ago. As I hung new curtains in my husband's room, I realized he had forgotten. I think that was a blessing. And so, we begin year 2.

It's amazing how much we have learned in a years time. Our "anniversary" also passed with no mention.

so sorry , it stinks to put it nicley hugs

So sorry that we have these "anniversary" dates in our head to always be remembered. We too are coming up on our 1 year. Phil can still walk - wobbly a few steps and awkwardly use his hands and with help sit up from laying down. However, we had a terrible scare this past Friday afternoon. I saw a dramatic change in him - I could not understand a word he said and his breathing was even worst and he was more lethargic than ever. I would ask him simple questions and it would take a min for him to be able to begin to point to yes or no. His apnea was at 45 seconds after a few breathes. We called all of the family to come the next day after the hospice nurse felt like we may be looking at the end. Thankfully he did rally late that night and was alert Saturday to actually enjoy all of the family here. Today he is worn out from it and sleeping deeply all day.

In January our ALS doctor gave him 3-6 months...he may have been correct afterall. I know often the ALS patient's mind goes more towards the end, and we continue to see that also. Last night he could not remember how to turn off his laptop.

Anyway, this disease continues destroying many lives so much quicker than we hoped and prayed for. Thirteen months ago my husband was outside working on our 2 acre yard, dragging 100 lb limbs to the street for pickup from a bad storm. Now he has trouble picking up a small drink and putting it to his mouth.

May God be with us all...

what a messup way for all of us to live. im at alose of words

I feel so much grief for you...the quick progressions must make you feel like you're living in a different universe. Sending each of you a hug, but I'm also in awe of your strength.

Jason's 1 year (since his diagnosis) is on the 19th, and I can't help but think about it. Soo much has changed since that date, and it has gone by soo fast. I'll write mine on that day, but yes, I can't help but thinking about it. I don't think Jason remember's that date, or if he does, he can't communicate it to me anymore. :(

*hugs*

I hope Jason doesn't remember. I'm glad my husband didn't. I think it would have been incredibly hard for him to handle. So much has changed. Like Jason, my husband wouldn't have been able to really share his feeling about it. That would have made it harder.

I'm glad your husband didn't remember, but at the same time, I know it had to be a sad and lonely day for you. *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back