Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
My husband has an appointment with his neuro tomorrow. I cannot go with him as I don't have any leave days remaining for the school year. As it is a two hour drive, his sister has generously offered to take him.

However, I want to send a list of concerns and questions along with them for the doctor to address. Now that I am sitting here at lunch, it all seems a jumble. Can you help me find the right words and questions?

Here is where we are so far: Officially diagnosed in February of 2011. Still mobile, although weakness has increased in both legs, from just the left leg before. He stumbles and falls much more often. I have noticed he gets short of breath a lot more quickly. He coughs a lot during the night and I notice changes in his breathing patterns at night too. He is also getting weaker in his arms. Last time he got on the scale he was down 5 pounds. I asked him to do it again and he won't, but am pretty sure he has lost even more weight. I realize this is to be expected with muscle mass loss. His appetite seems to be the same, which is a plus. No speech difficulties that I can tell.

Question I have so far is in regard to the coughing and shortness of breath. I am asking the doc at what point we need to be concerned or monitoring his oxygenation and lung function.

And then I am at a loss. I feel like there are a million questions to ask, but can't formulate them.
Help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If I am simply being an paranoid, overprotective wife.....well you can tell me that too. Just be gentle. ;)
Love and light
Meg

Meg, are you doing clinic at Forbes Norris? As far as the breathing, is he on BiPap yet? Also, even though he can still eat, getting a PEG now is very important.

Meg... I would suggest you take that whole paragraph describing "here is where we are so far" and write it into a note for the doctor, prefacing it with "Unfortunately I was unable to be at today's appointment, but I have noticed some changes and don't really know if they are points of concern or just normal progression." Give the note to your sister in law... what I would do would be to have her hand it to the nurse upon check in, otherwise she could just hand it to the doctor at the start of the appointment. Also... did you get that notebook? If so, give THAT to SIL and ask her to jot down notes during the appointment so she can remember what to go over with you later.

Thank you all for the advice. Sending a note along with hubby today. Crossing my fingers he will share it with the doctor as note of my concerns.
Love and light
Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back