Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I can't tell you how many times my husband has fallen within the past 4 weeks. Last weekend he seriously hurt his head (again) and had a nice big scab/bump on the back of his shaved head. He refused to go to the ER.

Today he fell and broke his collar bone and we believe his shoulder is dislocated. The doc I took him to (he had x-ray machine) couldn't tell if the shoulder is dislocated because of the fall or because of the muscle atrophy with nothing to hold his arm in place. The doc called several orthopedics to see if they would see him, but it's Friday...so a no go.
Doc advised us that he would need to be taped up and we needed to go to the ER.

SHIT! He won't go! I called my dad. He was in the military/medical. He told me what to do.

I swanny! I taped DaddyO up and I thought, it's great! I removed all of it after about an hour because he could't handle it. I've propped him up with pillows and given him a pain pill. He will certainly be very sore tomorrow.

He is now propped and placed in his adjustable bed.

Unfortunately, this is is "good" arm.

Stubborn SOB!

Oh CJ, you have got to be kidding me!

Oh Dear! Crazy times in your home. UGGH. How's he doing with the pain?

Oh my gosh, CJ, it looks like you are in for a LOOOONNNGGGG weekend! I'm sorry your husband hurt himself like this, but I feel just as badly for YOU and having to figure out how to deal with this. Hang in there...

Oh CJ. So very sorry to hear he's fallen & is hurt. This disease just keeps on throwing it at us doesn't it. The falls were one of my least favorite bits of the progression. There will be heaps of pain. I hope you can hang in and stay sane. Sending hugs

CJ, I am horrified. It's incredible to me that he's been hurt so badly. Stubborn is right. You've got your hands full... fuller. My love and prayers are with you.

Dear Cj, I am so sorry you have to go through this. We all know you will take good care of your husband, my concern is how are you doing? I will be praying extra hard for you.

Couldn't someone open a group home for all of the naughty PALS (they seem to all be husbands) that won't behave and cause additional stress on their caregivers? There must be some kind and patient soul that will put up with them!

CJ, I don't know for sure, but it would seem that if DaddyO can wear something with pockets to put his hands in as he sits, it would take some weight off the shoulders. It's what I do to relieve stress from my shoulders. A jacket just draped around him, maybe...

Missy, A drill sergeant turned medic might do the trick. You women have my utmost respect and sympathy.

Ann, that is so funny that you would say that! My husband, the CNA and I were just laughing about my post. We all came to the conclusion that it would take two female drill sergeants to make it work!

My only real fall was early on when I was still using a cane. I went to let the dogs out and somehow between the screen door, dogs and my cane I tested the tensile strength of the back porch concrete with my face and left shoulder. Ended up bumped and bruised and cracked my collar bone. Fun part was I was home alone so it took both arms to get myself up. The ER just gave me pain pills and said follow up with your PCP in 3 weeks.

Oh, Jeff. I hurt for you in reading that. Wow.

Missy, no kidding...Phil could take him on and win. The "alpha" in the house ain't I. He's a quiet man and very kind, but has any control he wants. Maybe that keeps my behavior decent.

CJ, Sorry for your hubby and you. Hang in there were here for you.

Rox

Missy, seriously, he has ALS...put his scrawny butt in your car and drive him to the hospital? What is he gonna do about it? Stomp his foot? He will just fall over. Not talk to you? Good you need the break anyway.

At some point he has to realize that in this area he is NOT in control, you are!

I know how it is when they do not want to go to the ER. Luckily, the ER we go to is good, which is not the case in CJ's case. Hope all is well as can be. Les had a torn rotator cuff due to ALS, is that the same as seperated shoulder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back