Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Uni
State
CA
City
Westlake Village
My brother has ALS and is covered for most care by the VA. However, his case worker is approving only 28 hours a week of in-home nursing support (CNA and LPN). I have been told that the VA will do more, up to 12 hours a day, but their website doesn't indicate it. I'd ask the case worker, but she appears to be the stumbling block saying his decision on a Trach is against her beliefs. She has threatened his wife with a decision to say she is incompetent to care for her husband and rather than take her on without full knowledge, I'd like to know if any vets out there are getting more than 4 hours a day paid by the VA for home care.

This is pretty urgent as my sister-in-law needs help

Thanks in advance

Golferjg

I've been fighting for more than 1 hour a day for 9 months. 4 hours a day would be heaven! How did your brother get that?

My husband has no use of his hands, arms and is limited in his ability to speak. He cannot walk, and requires 2 people for a transfer when not using the lift. Toileting is hell. It is absolutely terrifying on my part. I am so afraid that one of us is going to get hurt.

If you figure out how to get more help, let me know. My PVA officer keeps telling me that the aid and attendance pay is for help. That is not what I've heard from other vets. My understanding is that aid and attendance helps compensate our household for my lost income.

The PVA officer is telling you the truth. This is what the aid and attendance is meant to be used for. What level of SMC is your brother at? It should be at least R-1.

First off, what case worker said that a trache is against their beliefs?! To be blunt their beliefs don't mean 5h1t. If this was a PVA rep give me a name and we'll have them talking about their beliefs on the unemployment line. If you aren't dealing with the PVA contact them for help.

I'm not quite sure why some parts of the country get more help than other parts of the country. No one seems to be able to answer this for us. I do know that there is a vet here who lived in CA and was receiving 12 hours a day of care. He now receives just 2. There seems to be no real explanation.

I may have been unclear in my post. Let me clarify a bit. My brother was in Vietnam during the Agent Orange period (I think around 68-69) and the VA has a) declared him affected by that service and b) awarded him 100% disability due to ALS and his service. Under that, he is covered for almost all of the medical costs and is eligible for in-house nursing care (as stated in the VA laws). However, what I am seeking on his and his wife's behalf is an understanding of how much time exactly is the VA willing to commit to paying. During some of the research that his wife has done online, she found those who were getting up to 8 hours a day paid by VA services. I am trying to confirm that before I go to war and get someone fired for their position and beliefs. While I agree that this woman should not be doing what she is doing, I want my ducks in order. Any help, where to look, someone who knows, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your replies

JimTheGolfDoctor

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. My brother served in Vietnam during the Agent Orange period (68-69) and was declared affected due to his service. The ALS he has was attributed to his service and the VA has ruled him 100% disabled under their coverage and provides many services due to this. We are very thankful for this. However, under this coverage, I am attempting to clarify what exactly the VA would cover for a nurse to be in the home, especially since he needs 24/7 surveillance. The case worker is approving 4 hours a day when we hear that the VA will go as high as 8 from other ALS affected vets. I am trying to get more than heresay before I go after the case worker. Any and all help appreciated. Your responses are much appreciated.

Golferjg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back