Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Can anyone share what they use for their PALS to call them in the night? My husband has lost the use of his arms, hands and most of his fingers. He can no longer call loud enough for me to hear him. We were using a plug in doorbell. Now, he cannot push hard enough to make it ring. A monitor is out of the question because of the volume of his television (hence the reason I am in another room!). The dynavox alarm is out of the question because I have a school age, and it wakes him up. I glued an electrical plate cover on the button of the bell, and it will probably work for a few weeks. I can see him losing strength every day, though. It's just a matter of time before we are going to need something else. I cannot figure out how to rig it so that he can push it with his foot. I think that might be the solution if we are going to continue using the doorbell.

I think Joel had some ideas about this on his website. As I recall his sons rigged up a way to use those big button switches to set off various types of alarms by rolling his head from side to side.

I can still push a doorbell, but just barely, so we supplemented our setup with a baby monitor, so my family can hear me when I call out.

Any way you could get a set of headphones for him to use with his TV?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
use a infaint monitor even if i cant talk i can make sounds theres ones that come with sound monitor and tv.

We tried the infant monitor, but with the volume of his tv, I got absolutely no sleep.

We've had the doorbells, but he can no longer press the button.

I am not electronically talented like Joel was. I don't know how to hook up the big button (not sure he could push it either)

Our telephones have multiple handsets on the same system. We use the call button at night when assistance is needed.

for your hubbys safety, it might be time to tell him he needs to have the volume lower on the tv so you can hear him at night.
is this possible? Sorry, dont know the details of your situation.

Have you tried a wireless doorbell? You can move the button so he could reach it with a foot - whatever. I tape it down to where is most accessable at the time ...it continuously changes. works for us.

Right now, I miss Joel so much, I can't begin to put it in to words. I think the only thing that is available is the giant button he had attached to the wireless doorbell that we have been using for the last six months. As handy as I am, I don't know how to rig that. Unfotunatley, my husband is an ass. He will not let me turn down the volume on the television. In fact, he has no problem waking me up two or three times a night to turn it up if I do try to turn it down. So, as I said, a baby monitor is out of the question. Alarms and sirens are out of the question because I have a child that barely gets any sleep as it is. i can't have him waking up to sirens. If anyone has a suggestion or idea that we have not already tried, I would love to hear about it!

I'm not trying to step in for Joel here by any means, but after reading his advice to other CALS in similar spots over the last three years, I think he'd say that it's time your husband was made to understand that the world doesn't revolve solely around what he (your husband) wants. When his demands cause health and safety issues with other members of the family, then his demands simply can't be met. Other methods are required and will be put in place whether he's onboard with them or not.

Easier said than done, I know, but his behavior is putting everyone in your home in a bind. Is there someone around that your husband will listen to that could help you talk to your husband?

I think you stepped in for Joel beautifully. That's exactly what he would have said. That being said, climbing Mt. Everest is easier than telling my husband what to do. He was on the flight line during his time with the Air Force, and I think he must have some profound hearing loss. How he sleeps with the TV up that loud is beyond me. Boy, I do wish I knew how to hook up that giant button to the doorbell...

What about a cordless doorbell with it mounted by his feet?

We use the wireless doorbell now. The chime is plugged in, not the button. I have mounted an electrical cover on the button and cushioned it with furniture leg pads. It seems to be working for the moment. If he loses the ability to swing his arm over, that's not going to work. I've got a spare button that I'll try mounting on the footboard when the time comes. I'm just hoping that someone can offer a more long term solution.

how about headphones for the tv?

Miss,

I second the idea on the wireless headphones.

I know Joel had glued a checker on top of the doorbell call button so that he could activate it with his head.

I'm very familiar with the setup that Joel used using the great big button to trigger his walkie-talkie. I'm pretty sure we can use the same mechanism to trigger your doorbell call button. PM me if you want to get into the details on it... as it would be unique to your specific doorbell button.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back