Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
CA
City
Roseville
Hello and a big thank you! I have been reading many, many of your posts in all of the forums and am so glad that I have found this group.

My husband is 43 and recently diagnosed with ALS. The original diagnosis was late December 2010 with confirmation February 2, 2011. Definitely a date that will forever be engraved in my memories. It began with a limp and a diagnosis of foot drop. He has been taking Rilutek for about a month now. He has been progressing, although I would not call it dramatic. His legs are weaker but he is still driving and trying to work. It is still a lot faster than I would like it to be.

We do have some familliarity with ALS as my father in law passed away from the disease. It is unfortunate that he progressed so quickly - 9 months from diagnosis. We do not have a diagnosis of familial ALS although the test has been run. It takes on average 3 months to get the results. Although, it doesn't change our course.

We have two children - soon to be 10 and 5 and a half. They are the light of our lives and have provided much needed comfort and focus as we try to plan our future. We are living life to its fullest and are making memories for us all to cherish.

I am a librarian and a researcher by nature, which is how I happened upon this forum. I look forward to getting to know all of you as we share this crazy path of ALS.
Love and light to all
Meg

Meg, welcome to the forum and sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I know how hard it is to hear those words, I heard them almost exactly three years before you. I hope he progresses slowly and that you get to make many good memories.

Welcome Meg, sorry for the reason you are here, but glad you found us:)

Welcome to the family, sorry you and your pals have to be hear. One word of advice educate and prepair yourself.

Hi Meg, I also welcome you to the forum. So very sorry your young husband has this disease. I hope the rate of progression slows down.
Ann

Hi Meg- I wanted to say hello and I am sorry about your husband. The folks here are very supportive. I am so glad you found the forum. You and your family are in my prayers.

Hi Meg welcome to our family .sorry to hear about your hubby's diagnosed. God Bless you & your family & I pray the his progression is slow.
Sharon

Welcome Meg. Like others, I am sorry you have to be here, but you will find much support and advice from people that care. My husband was 45 when diagnosed in 2007 (it started in it's hand) and our boys were then 8 and 5 - so I've been where you are. He passed away in December after a long hard-fought battle. I, too, remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when he called to tell me what was going on - moments that still replay over and over in my mind. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Sandy

Welcome to our whacky group. Some days are better than others. We are here for you whatever the day is.

How are you and the kids taking all this?

Welcome, Coach! Sorry about your husband. Good luck to your family...

Hey there coach!

Welcome to the forum! Please tell your husband I said hello!

Hello and welcome! So very sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis. This is a great place to come for information, support and friendship. God bless you and your family.

Hi Meg and welcome :0))))))))))))))) each time I see the same story as mine my heart breaks, I am sorry your husband has been DX with ALS :0( My husband was ALS diagnosis same time, he has limited speech now and still working because he cannot afford to quit just yet, still driving but for how long do not know ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

Last edited:
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. It is heartening to know that you are all here for us in good times and in bad. I will do my best to reciprocate as much as possible.
Take care
Meg

Hi Meg, welcome I'm also new here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back