Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
It was suggested that I need to make sure the subject agencies know about my husband's condition in case of fire, emergency or power outages. Has anyone here done that?

HI Missy
My dad was part of a prgram called "Vial of Life".( I think thats the name).Basically there was a sticker on the door indicating that he was particpating in this program. When the emrgency crews saw this sticker they knew to go look in the fridge. In there was a vial( think pill bottle size) which held papers that outlined dad's medical conditions, his medications and any allergies or other pertinant information along with contact numbers.
The other option would be a medical alert bracelet or pendant. Just a couple of options.
Susan

Hi Missy,

We have not done this yet, but have looked in to a personal health recorder which stores your/his info on a flashdrive and then you can hook it to a belt loop or keychain, etc... and then typically a sticker is placed on the back of an individuals driver's license indicating the info is in the flashdrive. Or certainly, the sticker could be placed somewhere else to notify police, etc.. of the flashdrive. Just a thought. We'll have to do that, too. Also, if you google free medical information alert information you should be able to get the papers you need. Take care! Marie

at the moment all we have is my husbands difinitive diagnoses letter in the glove box incase a cop pulls him over and thinks he has been drinking all day.

I've filed my pals info with the electricity provider. In return they notify of us of any planned outages to give time to get backup in place. For unplanned outages they've given a 24/7 number to call in case of difficulty. Haven't had to use it yet so don't know if the system works. Hospital recommended it when bipap started.

I wear a lifeline pendant around my neck and it connects to the local hospital who have all my info. I press the button and it calls the 24 hour desk and they can talk to me and if I dont reply or I indicate that I need help they will call a couple of prearranged numbers or an ambulance if necessary.

Great thread. I am going to look into it for our area and see what we should do. Thanks for starting this

We also have a pendant too. If you press it it dials through to 2 prearranged numbers, if they don't answer it goes automatically to emergency services. It gave me great peace of mind to know that while I was running errands my pals had a way to call for help if she needed it. Now it's of less use as she can't press the button but it was certainly useful to us for a good while there.

It was suggested to let your nearest fire department know of your diagnosis so that if you fall and need help getting up they are aware of your situation and know how to access your home. They also would know not to come with lights and sirens.

the first responders are aware of my PALS situation and usually 5 people are sent out when he needs to get to the ER. Since he is on a vent and oxygen, the fire department must come out when 911 is called. The electric company is aware of the power needs as well.
Its good for the first responders to know so they can send out who and how many are needed- the first time, instead of having to call in for more help.
Bills are often hard to keep up on, not saying you shouldnt pay your electric bill, but once the company is made aware that there is a disabled person who depends on electricity to live- they cannot shut your power off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back