Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Lower Mainland
My pals will be going into surgery tomorrow for the PEG. I understand that it's quite simple. She will be in over night I am told and perhaps 2 nights, but that's doubtful.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just make sure you get FULL instructions on how to handle the PEG before you leave the hospital. The surgery itself only takes minutes.

I'll keep her (and you) in my thoughts and prayers. You will do great. There are so many "pros" here to answer your questions.
Ann xo

I'll add to what Missy said about instructions to say make sure that you get some supplies to start. At the very least you should get a few 60ml syringes.
I hope the operation and hospital stay goes well, if you have any questions there are lots of tube pros here.
Good luck!

Barry, how often should the syringes be replaced?

I hope your pals does great! Let us know ok.

I was told to replace the syringe every week but I think that is excessive. I use only the barrel as a funnel 4 times a day and I don't see any reason to change them for a few weeks if they are cleaned after every use. If they are being used as an actual syringe with the plunger then there would be some wear and they might be harder to clean so replacing more often would be good. I get mine with my formula supply so I have no idea what they cost.

Thanks for the info Barry!

Hi Missy, our supply company sends us enough syringes to have a new one every day. I usually change to a new one at least by every 2 days.

And Lorna, I also say, make sure you get as much info as possible from doctor and/or nurse before leaving, but it isn't hard to learn from others on this site and you tube. There isn't anything difficult about it, just some "tricks of the trade" that will make it a bit easier to adjust to.

Good luck,

Stephanie

I hope everything goes well! Best of Luck!

SHOCKED.. I stayed home to take care of kid duties. Spouse and his Dad went to the hospital with the PALS for this surgery. The Dad left to go home and my spouse was planning on leaving when the Dr got there. No sure what to think here. Nobody was going to be with her when she got done? I'm told she was staying over night, but neither of the men know. They were just planning on leaving. Not sure whether to laugh at this or to get super upset.

who knows what was going through their minds! I hope she does well and recovers quickly with minimal pain.

It is good that you PALS will be monitored at least overnight. Hal had his PEG-tube placed as an outpatient on Dec. 1, 2009 and then was checked into the hospital here in Santa Barbara and stayed overnight for observation. But the reason for the overnight stay was because we requested the overnight stay.

Several months earlier a local PALS, Joe Scarcello, who Hal and I considered a close friend, DIED from complications of the PEG-tube placement. Joe had lost far too much weight prior to his surgery. Although he was still walking, talking, and driving, he was too weak to prepare his own food, and swallowing was a burden. A couple of weeks before the procedure, Joe had moved in with his daughter in Santa Maria, about 90 miles north of Santa Barbara.. He had his procedure done as an outpatient in Santa Maria and was sent home. The next day, he started bleeding and choking. HE dHis daughter brought him back to the hospital, where he died.

Hal had maintained his weight prior to his procedure, although it had become quite a challenge for him to get food down by mouth. After his procedure, Hal stayed at the hospital overnight through late the next day. He had pretty serious soreness from the surgery and was not at first able to tolerate the tube feedings - so the staff at the hospital kept him until he was able to be fed and the soreness was lessening. And even after that, for a couple of weeks Hal was significantly weaker, and was not able to move or talk as well as prior to the surgery. Lessons here: Waiting too long can be a very bad thing. And every assault to the system can be a set back for PALS, even when it is going to make life easier eventually. A couple of good reason NOT to wait too long and also to be aware and monitor your PALS!

I meant Dec. 1, 2010 in the reply above! My time scale is so messed up! But we've adapted well to PEG. And it really makes life easier for Hal. (For me? Maybe not so much)

Men are just clueless sometimes, Lorna- NO OFFENSE GUYS.
How did it all go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back