Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
We are having so much trouble with the dynavox. My husband has always been very computer savvy, but he cannot seem to get the hang of this. He did great on the eye tracking exercises, so we really thought this would be a smooth transition for him. Right now, we spend half of our time (time I don't have!) trying to line his eyes up. Is there a trick to this? He sits in a lift chair, and I have tape on the floor to place the stand. It still requires major adjusting. Any help would be appreciated. I think his quality of life would increase tremendously if he could be more in touch with the outside world.

Hello Missy,

Have you called our Technical Support Team? They are often able to diagnose and correct problems via phone.

Kindest Regards,

Joanne Kaufmann
Communications Manager

Last edited by a moderator:
We have found that it works best in a darker room. Any room with uneven lighting (bright sunlight or bright lamps) seem to throw it off. The angle of the computer also changes how well it picks up the eyes. Since my husband is reclined quite a bit in his chair, a very thin pillow to lean his head forward a bit helps tremendously.

When your hubby calibrates is he able to line his pupils in the box? Keep trying...I remember how frustrating it was at times...especially since his positioning is always changing. He will be so happy once you get it working!

He does calibrate his eyes in the box. However, it seems I am always having to let him re-calibrate.

A couple of other suggestions. The screen should be tilted so it is parallel to the face. This can be tricky when you recline. I get better results if the screen is pretty close, maybe a foot and a half or even less. This way you move your eyes more as you look around the screen. However you have to be careful not to move your head. This is eye gaze, not a head mouse. If you move your head it messes up the calibration.

I have had bad luck with it while wearing glasses. Fortunately I'm nearsighted so usually I don't need them. I know it's supposed to work but it seemed to pick up reflections of the room lights instead of my eyes.

You can set the calibration from a quick 5 points to a slow 16 points. I find the larger number of points does help. It's worth it to take an extra minute on calibration.

In the end, sometimes you just have to accept that when you're looking at one square, it thinks you're looking at the one below it, so you have to compensate by looking above what you want. It's the same principle as firing a gun with a misaligned sight. Guys are good at this and I'm sure your husband can learn it.

Unfortunately, I'm the one that was a good shot! He has got to start working with it, though. I can barely understand anything he is saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back