Gentleman Jim

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Fort Wayne
I am a care giver. Eddie received his vent Christmas morning. He is in a trans facility for now. He is going home Tues.
What we are having trouble with is, he is 57. On SSI yet trying to find out who and how to pay for 24/7 care. No wife or children in the home
Eddie is a successful buisnessman. A vet of the Marines.
We are trying to find out exactly what they pay. I am in contact with all the organizations.
Is there anyone like this out there that is getting their rilutec medicine and home heath care people paid for?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: The 3 most important words on this forum

Jim, I think your post deserves a thread of its own so that people see it, which may not happen here. If you need help starting a thread, click on my name and leave me a message on my profile page or see in the blue bar above, "FAQ". You can find a lot of things through that. I just saw your post a minute ago and expect others also aren't seeing it.
Ann

I moved it here. Hope you are comfortable with that. Hope it attracts more responses.

You need to contact the VA. All his medical bills will be paid by them, plus a monthly check. 1 800-827-1000

My husband was just approved a full year's supply of rilutek through Nord. Their are patience assistance programs if you qualify. Good luck.

Lori is right. If Eddie is a veteran and has a diagnosis of ALS, he should be receiving his care through the VA. All of it will be paid for.

Thanks to all. He is a vet. However, I just was wondering how it went for others? Today I used an EMS just to take him to the VA to get
seen. To be put in the system. He cannot go back and forth to the VA for any more visits. I have contacted PVA Paralyzed Vets and they
are on the case as advocate. Some say contact this or that group, I just don't know.
So far so good. Eddie has private insurance, but it does not pay for the 24/7. They claim that the VA will deposit up to 7K per month
into his personal 'checking account for Aid and Attendance because of his progressive ALS.
Never need go back to the VA Hospital. Proper paper work obviously, but just wondered if anyone was already getting their checks deposited

Thanks to all of you, and by the way, I will let you know what happens. We are looking at 30 to 90 days for the Fed to move.
Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

Jim

My husband gets a check each month from the VA. It isn't 7k, but it is significant. He gets a base amount for being 100% service connected, a small amount for me as a dependent, then gets what they call specials for not being able to use his hands, feet, talk, feeding tube, etc and an amount to help pay for a caregiver. It comes in 1 check that we have direct deposited each month. A really good thing about it is that it isn't taxable either. We also just had over $30k of adaptations done to our home that they paid for.
The VA provides his Rilutek, Ensure, medications and some items such as gloves and urinals. We also get the big equipment from them, but it sometimes takes a while. For the medications and equipment, we do have to see a primary care physician there at least twice a year.
Now none of this is a simple easy thing to get started, but it is definitely worth the effort. I know it's really hard to handle all of it on top of everything else, but it is a way you can get help.
As to 24/7 care, unfortunately I am not sure this amount is even enough to pay for that.

As usual, you all are very compassionate and helpful. Your experience is insightful and helps us to know what to expect.
For your info, we were told there is a 10M life insurance policy they provide and another 10M which you can make payments.
Little over 100 dollars a month. Sometimes waved, :) we'll see.
Eddie was diagnosed in 08 but tried to handle it on his own. Found out it will break you in more ways than one. Again, thanks for
the responses, all the mice in the world agree that the cat should have a bell around its neck. but none of them know how to
get it there. :) Grace and peace to all of you.

Jim

The life insurance is 10k not 10m, unless there is something I am not aware of. You can go to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and click on veteran's services to get a lot of information on just about everything. They also have applications for many services that you can print out, fill out and mail in.

We had to apply for the insurance and mail in the first months premium with the application. Once the insurance was approved (several months later), the payments was reimbursed and all premiums have been waved.

If a veteran kept his life insurance that he had while on active duty, I think the premium on it can be waved and there maybe other benefits. I am not real sure about this because Rick did not keep his.

We got a grant to help us get accessible housing. We bought a house as our other was too small. The grant paid for the adaptations and what was left over was applied toward our loan. We got 90k in mortgage life insurance through the va that came as part of the grant package. They take out about $150 a month from his check to pay for it.

I am not aware of any other life insurance they provide. If there is something else, I would appreciate the information.

Hope this helps,
Karen

If your post has the word google in it or a link, it has to be moderated. Sometimes it's quick sometimes not so quick.

AL.

We get 10,000 at no cost, another 20,000 at $64 a month.

Hi Sadiemae,

Did you get the $20k after diagnosis or did you already have it?

Thanks,
Karen

We got the 10K and the 20K AFTER diagnosis along with 90K in Veteran's Mortgage Life Insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back