Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Lower Mainland
Toileting is becoming quite difficult. When she has to have a bowel movement, there is very little notice. The transfers are becoming increasingly difficult and taxing on my pals. She does wear a diaper, but it's used as backup only. And the bathroom that is available for her is quite small. Currently, there isn't a lift of any type in there. I wonder if there is room for something even.

So I guess we need to look into a lift if possible. That'll help with ease on the caregiver and stress on my pals. Also I wonder if the bare bottom idea is a good one considering how little notice we have.

She just had a doc appointment and hasn't mentioned any of this. *sigh* Any tips?

Well, I've read of a handtowel being under a bare bottom, but would think a diaper would be a lot more comfortable. Absolutely yes to the bare bottom. Just have her covered with a fleece throw-- or in hot weather, perhaps a beach towel. Keep her feet warm, use legwarmers if needed, but a throw folded in half is nice and warm, and if poly fleece, lightweight.

You may also consider a bedside commode (adult-size potty chair) to reduce the distance traveled. Bring the commode to her, rather than the other way around. The bedside commode can be placed in a location that is suitable for using a lift when that time comes.

There you go--a lift placed where there's room for it, and her commode nearby. If that works in an area where she can spend time, it sounds ideal. One thing we found when I got my big wheelchair and then the hospital bed is, the other furniture just has to go. The lift, the bed and my wheelchair fills most of my bedroom. And while I wouldn't want a commode in the living room (view straight through, front to back), there's really very little furniture. We can have two comfortable visitors at a time, and this house has a big living room.

These are excellent suggestions- another idea would be using a bedpad. Not very comfortable, but doable.

We use the bedside commode. I bring it to my husband when he needs it. It stays in a closet in his bedroom. Right now, he can get up and transfer, but we have a lift when ready for the future.

oops. i meant "bedpan" not bedpad. duh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back