How do you compensate for the loss of arms/hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
My husband has lost the use of his arms and hands. Does anyone have a suggestion or trick for setting up a drink that he can reach? Right now, I am stopping everything about every 10-15 minutes to give him a sip of tea or water. It's getting really old, really fast. There has got to be a better way!

Thanks!

You can get long flexible straws that can be shaped to be close to his mouth so when he wants a drink he can reach the straw.

Miss, flexable straws have been my solution -- now I am looking for a glass with a lid that has a hole for my straw. Reason? My cat grabs the straw and spills the liquid whenever she has a chance! Hugs! Smiles for a good day.

I haven't this problem cause my pals can't drink but I sure know the every 15m call. I have seen a flask which can be rigged up to a bed which has a long straw the person can drink out of. Relies on head movement as far as I can see.

Am interested to hear about solutions for reading online or controling the tv. My pals can no longer use a touchscreen to read the paper at her speed and interest (as opposed to me turning the page every few minutes) and can't use a remote control or her speech machine. We're waiting on a switch for the speech machine. For all you who've travelled this road already can I put a switch on a computer and if so how do you then use the computer? Sorry for the basic question but I've only seen pictures of a switch. I have no idea how they work.

Look into something like a Camelback. Do a search for Camelback on Dick's Sporting Goods.

Dear Missy

My George also had no use of arms or hands but.....had strong legs and was able to stand up without using his arms and was able to walk over to the counter to drink from a sippy bottle that was filled with his favorites.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish he were here to care for him and love on him. I would give anything!

I know how trying it can get. Treasure the time you have with him and get some relief when you can to get out, even to the store or a shopping or spa hour for you!

Patty :smile:

Jeff--thanks for the Camelback idea. That is sounding very useful.

How about one of those hardhats that you can put beer cans into? :):)

beerhelmetcustomer.jpg

OK Barry, I almost spit coffee on the screen... a little warning next time!

Anyway, we had a hospital table the adjusted for height, then he could use a straw.

Well that's an upgrade on the flask if ever I saw one Barry!

Oh how I want to meet you, Barry!

there are child cups with lids and straws all u need to do is adapt a longer tube if its to short.

Diane- what you are looking for is called a Kennedy Cup. Google it.

Currently, we use Tervis Tumblers - small tumblers with the large tumbler straws. The straws are almost long enough, and they are flexible.

This was recommended on another thread:

On the subject of straws. I have not tried this yet but I was told to go to the hardware store and get clear plastic water line. It is thicker than straws. It can be cut to a comfortable length and sanitized for reuse. Thank you all for sharing the helpful hints here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back