05/2009
Country
US
State
WA
City
Spokane
Hello,
I have looked back through threads and can't seem to find the answers to my questions. My hubby has Bulbar onset ALS; now unable to walk or help me help him stand up. My question is in regards to clothing (or the lack of). Two weeks ago, I was able to help him stand up from the toilet, then pull up his underwear & sweats. Having taken a fall, he is weaker and now is unable to get up. We can maneuver him to get his pants/underwear down and up when he uses the toilet, but I have no way of doing so when he gets done with a shower. He is in a shower chair, so his butt is still wet. What do we do? I use a hoyer to get him from one chair to another, but I have no idea how to get him dressed now. So..does he just go comando under a lap robe? I am looking into getting a toileting sling..is that what you all do?
Sorry if this is too much info, but thought I should explain our situation.. Thanks for any suggestions!

That is not too much information, that is what we are here for. Changes like this are hard to get past.
What happens with me is exactly what you described. I am covered up with a blanket and my pants are pulled up as far as my knees. As far as showering, my butt sticks out the bottom of the sling so it can be dried.

Sling

There are no easy answers to these situations.

Thank you..Just to clarify..Are you always w/o clothing while in your wheelchair or bed? Or do you put on clothing, i.e. underwear at some point? If you are w/o what is under your bum?

I have a cover under me as I never have any clothing on my butt. What my wife did was go to a fabric shop and get some material that sweat pants are made from and cut it into pieces the right size to put on my ROHO cushion before I am put in the wheelchair. I always have a bare bottom, even when I go out.

Thank you for your candid response. I just dont know what's what anymore! LOL! Thanks again.

This is a great question, I will probably be in the same shape in a few months and I'm wondering how we'll work it. I always keep in mind Joel's advice to "prepare early and completely". We borrowed a shower chair and we've tried it a couple times but I agree that drying off is a problem. I do go "commando" in the traditional sense to make pants up/down easier. I can still do it but it's very very hard between hand and leg weakness.

Good question and answers, I can just stand and hold onto my grab bar while my helper dries me but probably not for too long.

One more very personal question..I have read here about bidets' and am assuming that's our next step. If we don't have one, has anyone used a "bottom buddy"? He is starting to loose his hand dexterity and he says that its getting difficult. Okay..that's it..no more personal stuff..(Well, until the next phase of this journey starts) Thanks again for your responses..

Don't know what kind of undergarments you are trying to put on? My husband is getting about the same place. We used the shower chair yesterday, I dried him and his bum underneath then rolled him all the way to the recliner. I haven't had to use the lift from the shower chair as he can usually stand one good time in the morning still but it could easily be done. Once he is in his recliner, I am able to slip on boxers and slick gym shorts (which I make sure are kind of inside his shorts as a set before I slip them) so at least he isn't bare. Not easy but I can usually do it, he helps me very little right now as he has no strength in his legs to lift himself. I think really he may make it harder trying to help me, lol. Right now, he tries to wipe himself but there have been a couple of times when I have had to for him. Using baby wipes makes it much cleaner, faster. Your questions are not too personal as I believe we all go through these things here on a daily basis. One thing you will learn here is that folks are mostly here to help rather than criticize.

Hello Nancy,
just thought I'd throw in another thought. Might be different cause my pals is a woman but here goes. We use a lift for all transfers. For toileting we remove clothes & underwear on the bed while putting on sling. Then transfer to commode nearby, clean up (wipes are wonderful!), transfer back to bed, put on clothes then transfer onto wheelchair or get comfortable in the bed depending on time of day.

I found the only easier way to dress & undress her was on the bed. So long as the clothes & underwear have elasticated waists it's fine. She lies on her back. I pull the clothes as far up the legs as possible then I roll her onto her side to pull up over the bottom. She goes back on her back & I repeat the process on the other side. Pretty much the same proceedure as putting a sling under someone who is lying down. She is about 30 lbs heavier than me and is no longer able to participate in movement & it's still doable. However I did need to be shown how to move her by a pt first. I also got help from Joel when I was in my first stages of fright after getting the lift. Forever grateful for the help.

Pals & cals are ingenuitive creatures. I know you'll find the best solution for your situation.

Ps. We tried the bottom buddy when she had more hand movement. Not a great success for us but I reckon how much strength you have in your arms is also a factor. Still have it. If you'd like to have it pm me an address and I'll send it to you.

If a hoist and sling is used to transfer you from shower chair to wherever you're headed, you bottom can be dried while you're up in the air.

I wear boots (UGGS), and a laprobe over a diaper. Skirts were great before the hoist came into the mix.

Heres what we do with my PALS sweatpants:
cut them from the back center of the pants, down to the crotch. Then cut across each leg to the side seams, making "flaps"
Once your hubby is done showering (a toilet sling will enable you to dry his behind somewhat), you can put the pants on and just tuck those flaps around his hips. As Joel said, his bottom will be bare, but this makes it easier for toileting. From an outsiders perspective, you cant tell that his pant have been altered at all and no one will know his bottom is bare because the flaps go right around the hips and cover everything.
If he needs a urinal leg bag, you can cut a small hole on the inseam of the pants and stick the tube through there, and then hang the bag on WC. Hope this helps.

..... I always have a bare bottom, even when I go out.

/thumbs up

No disrespect meant, but I got a chuckle out of this. At Joel and Barry's expense. It just sounds like something Barry would say. Always so flirtatious.. ha ha.

Well I'm not there yet but my younger sister used to call me "Bare Bum" when we were kids so if the pants don't fit (or are too hard to deal with) don't wear them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back