Any tips on handling a PALS cough and cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
My husband has developed a really nasty cold. Any tips on how to help him through this? He is extremely anxious about the breathing issues.

Does he already have a cough assist machine and a suction machine? We learned the hard way not to wait until mucus gets stuck in the throat to order the equipment.

We've got the suction machine, not the cough assist. What does the cough assist do?

Missy, I've seen on youtube ways to do therapy on his back (cupped hands). Let me see if I can find and post that for you to do now, if possible.

YouTube - Percussion For Lung Clearance

On the youtube page above there are also others to look at along the right side of the page, but I think this is the technique as I remember seeing it earlier.

Thanks Ann. I wish I could put him on his stomach, but not possible. Plus, he has a peg. Right now, it just sounds like he has a really nasty cough. What stresses him is the stuffed nose and drainage. The cough is draining his energy.

Missy, when I saw it I realized I couldn't be on my stomach, so was afraid it was the case for your husband. I'll keep you both in prayer.

This might sound crazy but we've been giving my mom oregano tea with honey through a g-tube (a lady we know recommended it) and it has really helped. She would often get that annoying cough and we would have to suction often and since we've been giving her the tea daily for about 3 months now we have not had to suction her as often. Hope this helps.

Wow! That's what I'm looking for! Can I find Oregano tea at the grocery store, or do I have to go to a health food store?

We actually just by the dry oregano and boil it in water and then put it through a strainer.

is it possible to get your husband into the bathroom? im thinking run a hot shower for twenty minutes and let him breathe in the warm vapor. Maybe this would help keep things loose enough to suction?

Missy,
The cough assist is a machine with a mask almost like a bipap mask. It quickly forces air in the lungs and pulls it back out much like a cough would do. It brings the mucus into the mouth so that I can suction it out. I also give him Mucinex before bed every night. We had a bad scare a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night when my husband couldn't breathe because of the mucus caught in his throat. We got the cough assist and suction machines the next day and they were both covered by Medicare.

I hope your husband's cold is better soon. It's a good think you don't live in Minnesota, or it would probably last another two months!

also, push as much water as he can tolerate. it really does help with thinning out the mucos.

Thanks for the info. I give my husband mucinex every night, too. I am giving him Tylenol SEVERE multi-symtom cold medicine, too. That seems to be helping.

this wont be of any help to you now, but maybe in the future-
we always worry about chest colds too- PALS is on a vent.
So if anyone has some sort of a cold and they can stay away- we have them do just that.
If staying away isnt an option, have them wear a medical mask when around your PALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back