05/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wake Forest
hi,

When Phil does sleep with the bipap he still has the same amount of apnea. I thought it was supposed to detect a breathing pause and "shoot" an elevated amount of air to his mouth to try to restart the breathing. Does his bipap just need to be set up for that?

Thanks for your help,

Stephanie

It should be able to be setup for that, mine was. Talk to the RT and see what they say.

hi phil wife . . Depends on the type of apnea that is displaying . . There are two types and pals are prone to both . . Obstructive sleep apnea is when the throat muscles and i believe some parts of the soft palate weaken and collapse . . Causing an obstruction to breathing function . . The second is central sleep apnea . . ( i got this . . ) this is when the respiratory controls that take over breathing when you sleep (auto pilot) is affected . .no effort is made to inhale . . As a result the sufferers rarely gets to deep sleep and frequently awaken . . . The question you asked regarding bi pap is dependant on which varioation of apnea phil has . . As i believe both are treated differently . . . Ask your pulmonary / respiratory care doc . . Hope this help . . Good luck . . Alex

thanks for the replies. The apnea he is having isn't obstruction, it is from the weakening. I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago, if he was doing it before it was not as regular. Can I go through hospice to get it adjusted or should I get it done prior to hospice starting? Right now we are on a hospice hold until after this next bone scan and oncologist appt. If the tumor on his spine needs radiation again for comfort we will do that prior to hospice.

Hi there, very new to this forum, but I have a question. My mom has Bulbar ALS and her breathing is a real issue for me. Wehn she gets to the time when she needs the bipap i am worried as her boyfriend smokes ALOT in the home and I am worried this is going to make her breathing much worse. Can anyone give advise on this.
Thanks in Advance!

Angela, welcome to the forum and sorry about your mom.

As a bulbarian with compromised breathing (Bipap at night and for naps so far) I would sure not want someone smoking up my air. We have enough issues without air pollution being added to the mix.

Hi Barry,
Nice to meet you! I am so worried about her. I think she feels he is a smoker and he has that right. And well I guess he does, however, she has the right to not have to deal with the issues that smoke can add to her already complicated life! Thanks for listening!

I agree with Barry, Angela. Your moms bf may have the right to smoke- and i understand this. I used to be a smoker- tomoroow is the 2 year anniversary of when i quit- but your mom also has the right to be able to breathe.
No reason why he cant go outside or at least keep it in a seperate part of their living quarters.
He should be thinking about her if he cannot think of himself and realize the health risks.
Breathing issues shouldnt be screwed with. Especially when its so simple to eliminate that issue- take it elsewhere.
Sorry about your mom and welcome to the group

Sure he has the right to smoke...inside a bag where the smoke doesn't affect anyone else. I used to smoke when I was young and stupid but times have changed and smokers have to also.

Im with you, Barry

thanks for the replies. The apnea he is having isn't obstruction, it is from the weakening. I just noticed it a couple of weeks ago, if he was doing it before it was not as regular. Can I go through hospice to get it adjusted or should I get it done prior to hospice starting? Right now we are on a hospice hold until after this next bone scan and oncologist appt. If the tumor on his spine needs radiation again for comfort we will do that prior to hospice.

I think there's a question here about who can take care of the settings.

I would get it done before hospice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back