Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
My dad was diagnosed with ALS in the summer of '09. He has progressed rapidly and was trached and vented about 2 months (was in ICU for over a month due to pneumonia). He has been home for 3 weeks, lives with my mom in Texas - she is his primary caregiver. I live in Seattle and get a daily report from her. The concern we have is that now he is sleeping too much. He sleeps through the majority of the day and night. She wakes him for suctioning, feeding, bathing, but can easily go back to sleep. My questions are: Is this normal, I thought being vented would provide him with better/more rested sleep than his bi-pap? Could his settings need to be adjusted? The RT has been visiting them everyday to make sure everything is "okay" and no problems so far. I keep thinking he's depressed, but he's been on Paxil for over a year and was increased while in ICU. I've been searching the internet to see if other ALS patients experienced this issue, but have not been able to find any. All the information I can get will be grateful! Thanks!

The best thing that you and your mother can do is to take your concerns to your father's neurologist and see what he/she recommends.

Also, what do you mean by sleeping too much? He is still recovering from a traumatic experience, especially if the tracheostomy was done as a life-or-death measure. Two months would be a rapid recovery from that type of event, at least according to stories that I've read from other PALS who've been through it.

In addition, you and your mother may have expectations that are a bit more optimistic than actually warranted. The ventilator only addressed your father's breathing difficulties and can only help relieve those problems related to respiratory insufficiency. Now that your father's respiratory problems have been addressed, other problems may be more easily seen and dealt with.

Good luck to all of you.

From my experience I think it could be depression as that is a characteristic. When I got my trache and vent I had new found energy and vitality. Since I did not have to expend so much energy breathing I had surplus.

If he's been on Paxil that long and still seems depressed, I'd ask about changing his depression med to something different. Glen started with Welbutrin.. not only didn't help him, made him suicidal. He ended up taking Celexa and it worked quite well. Different people have different body chemistry so react differently to different medication.

also, certain meds can cause extreme drowsiness. before the vent, i would guess that your dad wasnt sleeping well, due to not breathing well. now that his breathing is under control, the drowsiness might be taking over and he is sleeping more. just an idea.

My Mom sleeps less since getting her vent and she is not tired. Maybe his meds? Depression like others said. Or his body recovering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back