Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
CA
State
ontario
City
kitchener
Ok...I think I'm starting to panic. A few weeks back, I posted a thread about my sister's breathing issues and a few of you replied back with some tests that should be done. Thank you for that. The tests have been completed, and what they found, I don't even think is an ALS symptom, or so the Doctor tells us. So, not only does my sister have to deal with ALS symptoms, she's got all this other stuff going on as well. Apparently, her voice box and vocal cords have been paralyzed, which is obstructing her breathing. She has two choices....have a tracheostomy, or surgery to remove part of the vocal cords and voice box. She is also falling asleep a lot....right in the middle of conversations. I fear, that we are losing her. Has anyone had any experience with this surgery or, has anyone delt with this symptom. At the beginning of this, I told myself I was going to keep it together and stay strong and encourage her every step of the way, but every time we turn a corner, there is a much bigger problem to deal with. I knew this wasn't going to be a very pleasant journey, but I'm absolutely shocked by the magnitude of this disease.

To start with, that does not sound at all like an ALS symptom. Concerning getting a tracheostomy, go to my website and then Content Index and look up tracheostomy and ventilator.

Living and Surving with ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back