Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
-
Hi, I am new here and have many concerns and questions. One of which is, are there any members who have had a baby while husband has ALS?
He was diagnosed while we were still engaged and he has progressed quite a bit since being diagnosed earlier this year. We want a child but I fear the realities of caring for him and caring for a new baby, so would love to hear what others experiences and input are. I want to make a healthy choice, not one made up of fear.
Thank you!

I haven't been in this spot - I do have an acquaintance who has done it. The nephew of one of my employees was diagnosed when he was 27 and newly married. They decided to have the children pretty much right away - and that was 7 years ago. According to family members, they all still think it was the right decision for them. Good luck

I married my husband knowing he was very ill and would not have normal life expectancy. At that time we both thought that it would be much longer than what it seems to be now. We did try to have children which never happened. Now he is slowly declining and I am glad we never had a child. He/she would have been 5-8 years old now and facing his/her father's death. I am 39 and my husband is 41. It would not have been fair to the child in my opinion. My husband's mother passed away when he was thirteen years old and it was a major trauma that took decades to get out of. Read The Loss That Is Forever. It accurately describes how children view parental death. This book greatly helped my husband in grieving his mother's death effectively and it ultimately helped him to move on in life. Good luck and God bless, there is no pat answer to this issue. You need to decide for yourself, this is just my opinion and experience and others may have different view of the issue.

Thank you and yes this is another concern of mine. My husband sees it as I will have someone after he is gone, and of course we have hopes he will die many yrs. from now but that is not realistic I know. This is a hard one for sure and the less I am certain about having one the more I think we should not. Is hard to feel certain about that as well though. Too much is unknown in some ways and so my decision is clouded.
Thanks again for your input, appreciate it.

Thank you and yes this is another concern of mine. My husband sees it as I will have someone after he is gone, and of course we have hopes he will die many yrs. from now but that is not realistic I know. This is a hard one for sure and the less I am certain about having one the more I think we should not. Is hard to feel certain about that as well though. Too much is unknown in some ways and so my decision is clouded.
Thanks again for your input, appreciate it.
Sorry my response was in response to darylwlenka. In responding to her post I expected it to link to her post, see now I should have quoted orig. message.

Thank you to everyone for their comments, suggestions and caring. :)

Hi, I'll respond to your message fully later, tied up with the baby right now :) Briefly, v personal choice, but I do not regret it as our son brought much happiness into our lives. D

No worries, I understand. Take your time and you can write more privately if need be. Not sure if that option is avail. though.

Zeppy, you need 10 posts to receive or send Private messages.

I looked at it from the position of the child. It was a major life changing trauma for my husband when his mother passed away so I did not want to repeat that for my own child. Yes, you will have someone after he is gone but I felt I needed to consider the child's needs before my own knowing what happened to my husband when he was young. That said, I am not trying to judge everyone else who decided differently. Everyone's situation is different. You just have to educate yourself about the effects of parental death on a child, decide if that's what you want your child to go through, and know how to alleviate as many effects of it as possible.

I looked at it from the position of the child. It was a major life changing trauma for my husband when his mother passed away so I did not want to repeat that for my own child. Yes, you will have someone after he is gone but I felt I needed to consider the child's needs before my own knowing what happened to my husband when he was young. That said, I am not trying to judge everyone else who decided differently. Everyone's situation is different. You just have to educate yourself about the effects of parental death on a child, decide if that's what you want your child to go through, and know how to alleviate as many effects of it as possible.
Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts. The effects on our child when they lose their dad is a huge factor in my trouble with this decision. There are too many things positive and negative that make it hard to decide once and for all. I have always leaned towards not having one but then wonder if I am underestimating a child and us. Off to continue my soul searching.
Take care and thanks again for writing with me.

Well maybe if you are torn maybe you should just let things be and see where things shall go. If you get pregnant great if not that is okay also. A hard lesson I have learned through all this is that what will be will be and things happen for a reason. Whether you will ever know that reason is another story and if you do the next question is will you ever truely understand it. I gave that away years ago after my youngest was born, she was unexpected delivered preemie and is now my biggest help and support with Don.

I wish you the best in whatever it is you both deceide. Just another thought don't dwell on the what could happen dwell on the day and what it has to offer good or bad and learn from it.

Well maybe if you are torn maybe you should just let things be and see where things shall go. If you get pregnant great if not that is okay also. A hard lesson I have learned through all this is that what will be will be and things happen for a reason. Whether you will ever know that reason is another story and if you do the next question is will you ever truely understand it. I gave that away years ago after my youngest was born, she was unexpected delivered preemie and is now my biggest help and support with Don.

I wish you the best in whatever it is you both deceide. Just another thought don't dwell on the what could happen dwell on the day and what it has to offer good or bad and learn from it.
You are so right. I know I must trust in the process, no matter what I decide (husband is for a baby). It can be hard to trust and trust in myself with all of this and how it has changed our lives. It is all still new and overwhelming, though I rise up to meet it daily the best I can.
Thank you for the reminder to sit back, breath and trust more. I am glad to have found this site and the understanding within. :)

Have you thought of freezing some of his sperm? Until you decide if you want to have children or not, it may be a nice safeguard. What if you decide you do want to and then the opportunity is not there. Perhaps you can freeze some and keep it in storage. I know this can be a bit pricey sometimes.

If you guys choose to have kids now, you can use the sperm in storage or you can keep it as a backup. But, I'd highly recommend storing some if you need a bit of time to consider your choices.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
At the time of my partner’s diagnosis we have been together for about 8 years. We talked about and wanted to have children, and all we were waiting for before trying was my completion of a PhD. Then in Nov 2008 we got the MND ‘news’. This, in many ways, just strengthened our resolve to have a child and speeded up the decision as time became precious. For me, however, MND was not the reason to have nor not to have a child as I wanted one all along with this very man. I have had other long term relationships where I felt differently.

Of course I had concerns...about coping with a small baby and a disabled partner, about my partner’s inability to engage fully with the child due to his condition (and possible associated frustration and sense of loss). I did not, however, think that I would be in some way harming my child, or setting them up for a major trauma because I decided to have them knowing that they will lose their father. I find this quite absurd. Life, for me, has never been a linear journey, instead I find it is full of the unexpected, and any form of meticulous planning never worked. The unforeseen is what makes it exciting! Nobody knows what may happen to them in 1, 5, 10 years time. I may get ill and die before my partner, my child may get ill, we can all die in an accident, or none of this will occur in the near future and my partner will see his son go to school and beyond. And if my partner is to die during my son’s early or formative years, there are in my view, many factors that will impact on how he will cope with his father’s death. I do not follow a school of thought that leads us to believe there are a clear and predictable patterns of grief, or uniform ways of dealing with grief. Additionally, there are many kinds of losses, such as those resulting from present yet ‘absent’ parents, or a loss of carefree childhood due to poverty and war/conflict...All are fundamental and mark our identities.
On a purely practical level, the past year has been a challenge. I work full time, my partner is getting weaker, my son is still small and full of sweet demands...But it has by no means been a catastrophe. Our son has brought a lot of joy to our lives, and taken our focus away from the disease. Finally, at the time we decided to have a child we did not know how fast or slow my partner’s progression would be. Having our son is an enormous privilege for both of us.

Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back