Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
Just when the holiday stress gets to be to much the kids seem to find some way to remind me to take time to laugh and to regroup

Some lol moments the last few days:

We were driving home 2 nights ago and Ruthie (3) was chatting away about the Christmas lights and wondering why some houses don't have them. I was explaining how some people don't put lights up and others don't celebrate Christmas. Mikayla (6) pipes in "Ya like the British who celebrate Hanukkah for Christmas!"

On the other hand I have been trying everything to curb some bad behaviours the kids have been demonstrating. A few weeks ago I bought "The Elf on the Shelf." For those who aren't familiar it is an elf that comes with a book explaining the elf's job. The elf flies back to Santa every night to report the kids behaviour to Santa. Every night the elf reappears in a new spot to be found by the kids again in the morning. The book also explains that they cannot touch the elf or his magic will dissappear.

Well, Mikayla especially has been very trying lately. So this morning Jingles (our elf) brought something back from the North Pole with him. A letter and a "gift" a bag with 2 pieces of coal (see picture).

The letter reads:

Mikayla and Ruthie,
Santa is sad.
I told him that you were bad.

He sent you some coal
Of which you(r) stockings will be full.

You must remember to be kind
Or on Christmas no gifts you will find.

Santa said he will give your toys
only to good little girls and boys.
~Jingles

It Seemed to work most of the day until I heard them planning on building a snowman. "And we can use our coal for the eyes - but we need more for his mouth." sigh...

At least I know they have learned one lesson well. When life gives you lemons (or coal)....

I am really looking forward to this Christmas --- more than usual. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Christmas 2010 017.jpg
    Christmas 2010 017.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 148
Shelley,
It's a very trying time for the little ones. They want to be good but they're getting SO excited. These are the memories you'll have for the rest of your life. All too soon you'll be dropping them off at college....

Dick

Shelley,

Very clever!

My son and I watched a Finnish movie tonight about how "Nicholas" began giving gifts. He kept asking me about when will the reindeer fly! Towards the end of the movie he said, "So there really was a Santa Claus!" LOL Oh, ye of little faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back