Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Should have done it long ago! Got to love those 10 year olds that tell all! LOL

Amazingly I was dry eyed the whole time! My son was cuddling his jacket and covering his mouth at first, but then he drew in a composition book I had brought as we answered the therapists questions.

This guy was a hoot! I've never met anyone like him before and think he will be very good for my son.

And my oh my is the boy observant! He asked the therapist if he had false teeth! LOL He does!

This therapist works out of his attached home office in a very lovely subdivision. My son noticed someone pulling out as we parked at his home. Her vehicle did not "match" the "demographic profile" of the neighborhood. My son wanted to know who she might be. I told him it was probably their maid. But, I expressed to him not to ask if that was their maid. Well, the therapist asked what I had told him about coming there today. His answer: "Not to ask if you had a maid." LMAO How embarrassing!

The man was quite humorous and excellent with my son!

Poor guy! He really needs this!

That is fantastic! I am glad it went so well.

Glad to hear you had a good experience CJ. Every now and again I toy with the idea that maybe one or more of my kids should talk to somebody. When I mention it, they're not in the least interested. We are all very close, more so now but still, they don't express much to me. On the other hand, everyone's grades have improved over last year. The teachers all tell me they are acting like normal well adjusted kids. Even at home they're good kids. Sure there is some arguing and such, but it's minor in comparison to what I've seen in other families. I honestly think we're the least dysfunctional family I know. I'm almost afraid of screwing that up by introducing somebody who will tell us we're all unbalanced! Then again, maybe I'm the only one that needs a therapist. LOL

Dick

Oh CJ.. I'm SO happy you did this, and that it worked out well! Given the sheer numbers of losses we had the past year, I found Kev and me a WONDERFUL grief counsellor.. we see her kind of on an as needed basis. I can tell when Kev seems to need someone other than me to talk to, and he's been very receptive. It's been a big help to both of us.

Dear Brooksea,
That is good news for the whole family.
Hope it eases your worries too.
I loved your sons response about the maid, such honesty.
blessings, Pat

Your son sounds so cute. I like the part about noticing his denture. That is very observant. It does not say very much about his denture. It probably would make him take a second look at it the next time he looks at himself in the mirror.

Getting the right therapist makes all the difference in the world.

I'm so glad it went well. You did say your son was smart as a whip... He sure is! Things must be seeming more "manageable" just knowing the appointment went well. Whew. Smile.

CJ,Happy for you and your son

I'm just putting it out there for others that have kids! I've learned more horrid stuff that was going on at school since that session!

How can we know?

Pray for us , as I try to re-enter our son into public school! Pray! Please!

Do you have a charter school there? My daughter is now going to one and it is so much better. The charter schools are a lot smaller than regular schools, and they get more hands on attention. Wish I could get my kids to agree to see a therapist. They are 16 and 18, and have issues they are not addressing.

Not around here, Lori. I'm already being stonewalled. BOE rep that's supposed to help: "This is beyond my scope of responsibilities. You have to talk to the school administration." I'm sure the BOE rep got off the phone with me and called the school's admin. And of course the school administrator hasn't called me back, after I left a detailed message! Sigh....... Here we go again! Guess I'll have to go up to the school and demand some face time! I hate the public school system!

God help my son!

CJ, the best thing I ever did was to call each of Jerry's teachers and adamantly request that the whole topic be kept hush-hush. For some reason these damn teachers think it's important to make everyone in the class aware of what one of the kids is going through. Kids just want normal, even if their lives aren't normal. It's much easier for them to deal with it on a case by case basis with their friends. They're much stronger and more self-confident if they are given the opportunity to manage it all on their own. Don't be too much of a mommy, it may be your first instinct but it's not the best.

Dick

Dick, I agree with the "too much of a mommy" thing. If you knew me, you would know I don't hover! LOL The problem is that my husband insisted on going up to the school A LOT! We helped on a long term art project and would go to lunch to see our son. His symptoms progressed and although he could still walk, his speech was bad and the whole bulbar issue ensued. Kids (and even adults) treated my husband and child like $#!+! The assistant principal would walk the other way when she saw us coming! :? Eventually the counselor became scarce!

Believe me, we have the opposite problem here! The counselor intervened one time at lunch, as the bullying was so severe that someone called her in. The school has had no interest in trying to help my son get through this so he can get an education. In fact, his teacher last year told me that despite of what our situation was at home, it was no excuse for his "misbehavior." (mainly not raising his hand, trying to be funny) He was in 3rd grade! My observation of the class was that a lot of boys and some girls behaved the same way. I just thought that comment from her was very unnecessary.

There is a new assistant principal, so I'm hoping I can just get the school to recognize that the bullying has to stop. They don't seem to have a handle on it. I can't imagine how many other children are going through such.

My son is very reluctant to go back and wants to beat the crap out of the bullies! (he's a big dude) But, of course, you can't do that anymore!

LOL Wish it was 1966, the year I wielded the metal Barbie lunch pail, which contained the heavy Barbie thermos... ;-) Oh, the lessons of childhood! :D

CJ, we've had a couple of "incidents" in Jerry's school. The teachers and administrative staff are very quick to squelch bullying around here. It's a very good school district, consistently in the top three in the state (it's the reason we moved here after all). I understand it's not like that in a lot of schools. It is though, all about how the school district is managed. Sounds like yours in not well managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back