CALS
Country
SGP
State
SG
City
SG
Hi,

Ever since my mum's respiratory doc increase her bipap settings, she had been making a lot of grunting/snoring sounds, when she sleeps. She is not aware of it, but we had been kept awake by all the loud sounds she had been making.

Before her settings were increased, she had been experiencing breathlessness and the doc decided to increase the settings after her stay in the hospital.

We were wondering if anyone else experienced this, as we are at our wits end. We desperately need our sleep.

We had tried increasing/decreasing her bed incline, thinking that perhaps it was due to her phelgm accumulation or poor positioning; gave her more pillows to support her, while she sleeps and had ensured that there are no leakages.

I have no idea what else to try now. Any help/comment would be appreciated!

Hi Katekath,

I have no idea why your mom snores more than before. I would recommend talking to the doctor who set the settings of the Bipap. He might be able to tell you if it is normal and maybe even what to do about it.

My father also uses the Bipap, but I have not heard him snore yet.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you find a way to get a better night sleep. I know how important that is.

Monique

Hi Monique,

Thanks. ;) She has an appointment with her respiratory doc in January. I can't wait for it to ask the doc. For now, I'm resorting to ear plugs, which helps to reduce the noise level, so I can sleep for at least a few hours.

Wan

Do you have to wait until January to ask your question? We were always able to leave a voice message or e-mail when we had questions between appointments.. saved a lot of stress!

My husband has increased sinus problems that he's never had before. When he's had a bad day of sinus issues, he will sometimes snore. Antihistamines have helped.

Katie: Yes, we can't. This is Singapore's medical system for you. LOL. We tried leaving messages with the nurses before, but it never gets through to the docs. There's no point complaining to the management. It is just the way it is in Singapore.

Brook: Thanks! I'll ask the doc about that. :) I am suspecting it could be due to her amount of phelgm secretion. ALS has made my mum particularly sensitive to temperature changes and thus she is very much affected by weather changes, which in turn led to more phelgm secreted. I'm hoping it is due to that and not some bigger issue.

Wan,
Is the machine data capable? If it has a data card or if you can access data on screen, you could see if your mum is experiencing hypopneas and/or apneas when she is sleeping. The new settings may have overshot the mark.
--Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back