Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
My husband has suddenly - today - started to lose bladder control. He has we himself 3 times TODAY. Usually, he can go 4 - 6 hours without a problem. He always has plenty of time for me to get a urinal when he does need to go. What could it be?

Missy, I have similar problems and have been told it is "muscle spasms or bladder spasms".

Another thought--possible bladder infection? They can sneak up on a person, and present without all the typical ones of urgency and discomfort.
Laurel

Missy, I've had a couple of similar episodes over the past 2-3 years. They come on quickly, last a week or two and then stop. I don't know what causes them. Someone suggestion an infection. Might be?

I also get them for a few days at at time and figure it's a muscle spasm (painless cramp). It is so not fun... but the ones with pain are much worse.

Another one of the little "gifts" from ALS that no one (doctors, literature, etc.) tells you about. What would I do without my forum family!

i have had the "urgency" also. my neuro gave me oxybutynin. it has helped some.

Hi Missy.....my sister has had similar issues, and was told it was muscle spasms. She tries to use the washroom more often now, so that the bladder doesn't get too full. She doesn't get them continually, only occasionally now. Hope this helps....God Bless.......Laurie xo

Yep another gift, I believe it is a UMN problem, sure have this one in a scary way. I love how we are the only ones who really talk about what goes on with us. We absolutely need a more accurate manual for symptoms. I remember when I thought diapers were for babies..LOL..

I also take oxybutynin for urinary urgency. I just started it this week and it is helping, it buys me time to get to the bathroom.

And here I thought that it was only because I am on a totally liquid diet. I had an accident last week when all of a sudden I had to go and although I made it to the bathroom in time my hands couldn't get my pants undone. Such fun this is, now I am wearing sweat pants most of the time.

I've been having problems with urgency too. Those last few seconds as I struggle to unzip are quite difficult. I did have one accident a couple weeks ago - I was alone and suddenly needed to go to the bathroom, but my wheelchair was about six feet away and my cane had fallen on the floor halfway between. I had to stand, leaning on my recliner, and work myself around to where I could reach the cane with my foot and drag it over. Then I had to sit back down so I could grab the cane, then stand again so I could hobble over to the wheelchair. It all just took too long, very frustrating.

I have had this experience. Can't get the pants down. I assumed it had something to do with muscles... I am learning how much in life has to do with muscles. I am very happy that pride is a sin, because I don't have much of it left.

It really stinks that you guys are going through this. Just wanted to let you know that if it stays an issue (for the men) you could always use condom catheters and hook up a leg bag. it can be worn under your pants or hung on your W/C. The condom catheters are nice because theyre not indwelling catheters, so theres no pain or discomfort. Just like putting a condom on. You guys are probably already pros at that! Sorry ladies- this doesnt work so well for you...

It really stinks that you guys are going through this...
True enough, and that's only part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back