2nd bout of pneumonia in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

COlisa

Distinguished member
Last month my husband came down with pneumonia, and was so much better after just the 1st two days of antibiotics. He really bounced back afterwards and seemed better than he had in a couple of months.

He aspirated again over the weekend and has pneumonia again. Started antibiotics Monday mid-day and he just keeps getting worse and worse. I can't suction the mucus out of his throat fast enough and he can't breathe effectively without the bipap on so it makes him crazy that I have to take bipap off to suction.

I'm just trying to keep him comfortable enough to not go into a panic. Morphine, Atavan, and just started a fentanyl patch tonight. He has been sleeping in his powerchair as he can't stand to lay down.

Anybody have experience with multiple bouts of aspiration pneumonia? Any tips on making him comfortable? Not sure what else I can do. Heartbreaking.

Thanks,
Lisa

I'm so sorry Lisa. The only tip I'd had you already thought of.. keep him as upright as possible. I know how hard this is.. sending good thoughts.

i am so so sorry; this is hell for both of you

I did cupping for my mum, when she gets mucus overload. It helps to get them out more effectively with suction. She also sits up all the time when she is awake and sleeps at a 45 deg incline. She told me it is more comfortable that way. Hope this helps.

katekath: I don't know what cupping is...can you elaborate?

Hi Colisa, When I was nursing, we called it chest percussion. You get the person with the bad chest sitting up, slightly leaning forward, you cup both of your hands, and then you lightly and with rhythm use those cupped hands to keep tapping on the person's back--sort of like drumming. This loosens up phlegm so they can cough it up. Be gentle. It usually helps quite a bit.
Laurel

Very sorry, Lisa! I have no advice, only hugs!

Hi Colisa, what laurel said is exactly what I was referring to.

You can search "Chest Percussion Using Cupped Hand" and you will find some pictures/notes that might help clarify what we mentioned.

The website I've found has advertisements, so I'm not putting it in here. Let me know if you need me to refer you to the website I found. :)

As laurel said, try to be gentle. I usually go light and slow then slowly increase the strength I use, till my mum nods her head to signify that she is okay with the strength I use.

I have a Cough Assist mechanical in-ex-sufflator from ResIpronics that forces air in the lungs and forcibly sucks the secretions up.
You then either swallow the secretions or spit them out. Hope this helps.
Pat

Last edited:
There also is a device called "The Vest" by Hil-Rom which simulates the chest percussion. Very pricey, but some insurance will cover it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back