08/2009
Country
US
State
OH
City
Brunswick
I am so annoyed....

This week I called to have Mikayla's bus stop moved to our house and was told no. I have kept the school and their transportation department updated Jim's condition. However, they will not consider a handicapped parent as a reason to drop your child off in front of the house - only if the child is handicapped. I have explained he also has dementia and I have a 3 year old in the house. Jim still enjoys getting Mikayla ready for the bus and taking her to the stop. Even though it is just at the corner his walking worries me.

Their excuse they do it for the safety of the child. Now mind you I am not asking them to alter the route - the bus passes our house. I am not asking them to add a stop - Mikayla is the only one at the stop.

Ruthie's bus picks her up in front of the house. Her bus is through the preschool not the city so they actually changed their route, bus stops and even her class time to accomadate us.

A member of our local ALSA saw a rant I posted on facebook and they are contacting the city to see if they can persuade them.

Anyone have any other ideas? I hate to make trouble but Jim's ability to take her to the stop is important to him. Having him on a routine and active in her care is important with the FTD. Right now the walk is not so bad - but what about the ice and snow?

The are concerned about the safety of the child? Not sure how sending her to the corner is safer.

What does the counselor say? What about the superintendent of schools in your county or city? This sounds like someone just wanting to be "in control!" Safety of the child? I believe they really need to re-think this, as safety is an issue for both of them. If she's the only one at the stop, that is just ridiculous that they won't budge. I had my son's stop changed last year to the end of our driveway from the original stop, as he was the only one riding the bus on our road and they had no problem with it. In fact, it was a better stop, as it wasn't on a steep hill.

If the ALSA can't help you, I hope you let us all know! It will be letter writing/email/media time regarding your county school board and its members. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum willing to help you in this manner!

Shelley, Just curious, how big is the city you live in? Do you have a local newscast based in your city? A local newspaper? Any politicians up for election? We live in Reno NV, 300,000 pop, and they reply to none of my emails or suggestions for stories. Sometimes smaller is better to get things done. To me, this is discrimination against you husband, and you need to FIGHT, if you have the time and energy. If not, we will fight for you! HUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back