Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
Okay, we can no longer live with the bathroom. It is time to renovate. (We probably should have started a few months ago)

Our space is 15.5 ' X 6.75 '. The door is in the recessed in the middle. Since this is the master bedroom, ideally, we would like a toilet, sink, tub and shower. The toilet is on one end, the shower on the other with the vanity in the middle.

Has anyone worked with a space similar to this? Does anyone know of a website to get ideas on an accessible bathroom? I've looked up images on the Internet, but have found very limited spaces.

That is almost exactly the size of ours. Here is how we laid it out. It works wonderfully but I would not want it any smaller. Bed-Bathroom

How high is your toilet with the lift?

Thanks Joel, We have been wanting to see how something like this will look in our future as well. Good info.

The lift adds 3.5 inches to the height. Now that I use a lift for everything we will probably take the toilevator off. It will make it better for my wife to use, she is very short.

We like the toilet closer to the shower because it is easier to use the ceiling lift as it does not have to move as far.

I think the highest toilet made is 19" (or at least that was as high as I could find). Since the lift only adds 3.5 inches, that would be a little shy of what my husband needs to get himself off. Since the renovations will take about 60 days, I don't think it is worth the lift. His core is rapidly diminishing in strength. Thanks for the info!

Joel -
I am trying to get an idea of budget and cost for our home conversion. Can you share approx. how much the bathroom conversion cost?
Thanks,
Dan

joelc that is a wonderful set-up. Wish we had seen that before we put in the bath down stairs for Earl. He now can't use it. We have to put him on his comode in the middle of the living room. We use a bucket and wash him there. Not really convenient but we make it work. The hardest part for him is when we have company and I have to ask them to go somehwere else for the duration.

I guess the best advise for anyone is do your research thouroghly before you start!

joelc thanks for the pictures and links. Never though about it before, but it is something to prepare for.

Missy, "Mare" has pictures here at the forum if you go to her profile page (go to mine and find her there if necessary--she's in my friend's list.) She did what we would have done had we thought about this ahead of time. It may not be very different from Joel's bathroom, but I've seen her's more recently. The more you look around, the better (at least for me that holds true).

Cost? We had our children do it so it was only material. We had to totally gut our house, redue it and put the addition on. It was a nightmare and cost us over $100,000.00 that we did not have. The bathroom cost? I don't really know as it got lost in the total.
I was a carpenter/contractor so could guide my boys thorough the construction. The page on or website with the pictures has been viewed thousands of times and many people have copied it.

Check out my profile. Ours is 8' x 16'. Shower is 6x 6 before the tile and such. If you want to PM me your email I will send some pic and sites I have saved when we were looking.

Thankfully, the bathroom renovation is NOT underway. Today, the upstairs shower fell into the downstairs bathtub. That is the bathroom we will be using during the renovations! For once, slow to get started is "a good thing"!

Missy, that is amazing! Very good thing no one was in either the shower or the tub. I guess it's time to renovate!

No kidding - all three bathrooms now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back