Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
In the Land of Cotton
City
Way Down South
How quickly can a PALS lose speech? 2 weeks ago, the speech pathologist told my husband he was a good candidate for voice banking. In the last few days, I can barely understand my husband. Isn't that fast? Could it be something else? We live in the South. It is hot and humid. Lot of "stuff" in the air. My husband has always suffered with allergies during these seasons. Could this be caused by excessive drainage versus actual loss of voice? Has this happened to anyone else?

When Les is stressed, or very fatigued his voice suffers. He had a lot of phlegm in his throat this morning, and could hardly talk. I gave him a cup of tea, and it helped BIG time. Maybe it was the hot liquid that helped.

I'll watch and see if coffee in the morning clears his throat. Thanks!

Try it without creamer, as the dairy increases phlegm. Coffee with cream doesn't help Les at all.

I feel SLPs don't really understated ALS. My husband sounded perfectly fine (til late in the day - 2006), but the program (2007) could not record his voice without a terrible amount of effort. He finally gave up, as the program kept telling him he had to re-do his recording.

The tongue is a muscle and it tires as the pALS speaks. Also, stress effects the tongue, I think.

The weather definitely affects my husband...

Mine deteriorated pretty fast, but not THAT fast. However it changes an awful lot during the course of a single day. Try to get him when he is suddenly at his best and only do a little at a time. SPeaking is one of the most tiring things of all, I find

Missy what a great idea to bank his voice. Don lost his voice a long time ago and never did that and just not to long ago he had wished he did as does the kids. They call his cell phone once in awhile to hear his voice on the recording. Even if it is just a couple of words it is better then none. Make sure I love you is top piority in that recording that is what i miss the most everything else just doesn't matter to me. Good luck.
Jodi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back