07/2010
Country
US
State
ny
City
syracuse
Hello-

my 39 year old wife was just diagnosed with ALS.....we are devastated by the news. We have a Neuroligical appointment with ALS center in two weeks to confirm/refute the diagnosis....what should I be doing inthe mean time beside trying to keep my two young children from seeing their parents cry? find a lawyer, draw up a will? I need some first steps here.....please advise...thank you

Matt
Syracuse, NY

first in my view get the 2nd opinion have your good hard cry ,then try to deal she is not going to be gone tomorrow you will get a lot of ideas and support here , these are great people here and they will be here soon to help you ... there are a lot of ways you will learn from everyone here we are either care takers or the person with a.l.s. with lots of views and the different way we handle things so hang on .. wishing you the best

Welcome to the forum Matt,

It is a great place to get help and find answers, although the reason for being here is not so great. As far as your neuro appointment, you will want to write down a list of questions that you want answered. Add to the list as you think of more questions. There are no dumb questions in this !@#!$% disease! A lawyer? Not so much right this red hot minute, but soon. You will find that you will prioritize items to be done. My recommendation? Try to spend as much time as you can with your loved ones. I do not have any help for you with your children. My husband and I do not have any young ones, just an adult child of his from a previous marriage.

Keep on plugging. It may get easier, but then again it may not. Just know that we are all here to try to deal with this horrid disease. A good cry (out of sight & sound of your little ones) is also worth it.

Take a deep breath. You will figure it out.

Oh Lord, I am so sorry. I am so sorry you have to be here. How old are your two young children? Can you hide it from them? Our children are 15 and 18, so we knew we had to be open about it because there was absolutely no way we could hide the tears. You are all in my prayers.

I'm so very sorry! How young are your kids? Our son was 6 when we got the news.

You will freak out at first, trying to get everything done at once. It's a shock. You will need to give you and your wife time to absorb all of this. I know it is so very hard. I send you and your family hugs.

39...I really hope the second opinion is different.

Dear Matt,
I'm so sorry you've had to search us out, but you will find a great deal of support, education and encouragement. You've already gotten some good suggestions. My additions would be:
-Get a binder/notebook for those questions,things to take care of etc...I found myself forgetting what I needed to do next. Having everything in one place just made it simpler...
-EVERY person's experience with ALS is unique, however, you will find some similarities as far as basic symptoms...
-You will want to talk about "the practical issues" (medical poa, will, etc)during quiet calm moments-but don't feel like you have to figure it all out right NOW...one thing at a time
-Find the closest ALS clinic. There will be a case manager who will have resources regarding what/how to tell your children. Our son who is almost 9 only knows that his daddy's muscles are getting weak-while my 19 year twins know what's going on. For younger kids it's all about telling them in small doses...
-Find joyful moments EVERY DAY and celebrate the moments...
Peace,
Melody

Matt, remember one thing, ALS is not yet cureable, but it is treatable. Not all doctors have this attitude, so if yours doesnt look for one who does. Was your wife working? If so, it is time to apply for SSDI. One thing you will hear over and over, is EVERYONE is different. My husband is 45, and was just DX 10 months ago, but if we had went to Doctors earlier he may have been DX 6 yrs ago. It is so hard and sad. Search the threads on this forum, and you will find wonderful advice and comfort. You are not alone. HUGS Lori

Although I'm new to dealing with ALS, as my mom was only diagnosed less than a week ago.. I am familiar with death (and/or the news of a fatal illness), and how children cope.
I lost my father when I was eight years old, and from my own personal experience I can say that seeing my mother cry wasn't as devastating as you'd probably assume. Although everyone handles grief differently, and different situations, I can only speak from my own personal experience.

It was important for me to be strong for my mom, so in turn she had to be very sure to teach me that crying is important, and that I was allowed to grieve as much as I needed. I don't know the age of your children, but at eight years old I was somewhat able to understand the concept. My father was in and out of the hospital for quite a while before his passing, and because my family made it as happy as possible, we were all able to get through it a little easier. We all did our best to cry with each other, and most importantly to laugh. It is VERY important that you do not shield your children completely from this. They need to learn the importance of this situation, and unfortunately they will need to learn about death as well. It will be extremely important for how they cope with grief in the future.
I suggest doing a lot of your own research on this matter, as the way this is handled with your children will affect how they handle situations of severity in their own adult lives.

I don't mean to scare you during a time where you are already very worried and frightened, but from my own personal experience I do feel the need to express to you the importance of how you handle your children during this very tough time.

Let them see you grieve, but don't let them see you fall to pieces. Crying in front of them is fine (and teaches them that crying is okay, and teaches them the importance of the situation at hand so that they can cope later as things progress instead of being taken aback later.) Explain to your children what is going on, do not attempt to pretend things are fine when they aren't. Do not trick your children into a false sense of security, but slowly teach them more about the situation. (IE: Don't be blunt, but do express it in as full of detail as they can understand for their age.)

Sorry if this didn't all make as much sense as I wanted it to, I hope that is somewhat of a help. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more in detail of how I handled the situation with my father, as I'm sure I may be able to explain certain behaviors of theirs that you may not understand at the moment.

I'm very sorry this is happening to you, and we all definitely know how you feel, and how difficult this is. You aren't alone in this.

Oh yes, here is one link I found that may help.
Talking To Children About Death
Although your wife isn't going to die tomorrow, or the next day, like others have said.. it is fatal. It's just a matter of when. So you will need to prepare your children, and prepare yourself on how to handle them once the time comes. However, these same ideas can be put into place when talking about grief with your children. They are aware of what is going on, they are aware things are wrong even if you pretend they aren't. I strongly disagree with lying to them about the magnitude of the situation, although their age will change how much detail you go into with them.

I am so sorry for the news...as the others have said get another opinion....a doctor that specializes in ALS ...she is so young to have this...try and just breath....you will have a lot more great days together....make everyday count..I started writing myself a list... Then tried to prioritize them.... Not everything has to be done right now. You will have time after the shock wears off some... I can feel how anxious you are and rightfully so. I can still remember the first few weeks after I found out...I can only compare it to a death..only I was still breathing...that is what it reminded me of... It will get easier after a while... Then planning for the future will start falling into place.. You are in a great place for help, comfort,love,and and understanding.....big hugs to the both of you, Linda

thank you everyone for the quick responses.....I will get working on all your responses/suggestions...it will give me something to focus on.....thanks

Matt

Crying is good and healthy...It seems every time we go to the Dr. my wife and I cry that evening. The next day I always tell her that OK we got that out of our system now lets keep living. Enjoy every day and every moment with your family and friends! After my Neuro told me that he was convinced I had ALS after we left the Doctors I told my wife that the sun was going to rise tomorrow and so was I! As crazy as this sounds my wife and I have become even closer which I did not think was possible!

Take it one day at a time and make sure you both keep on living! Do not waste your today's worrying about tomorrow.

We have 3 children, 12, 10 and 6. We have not told them yet. Partially because my diagnosis is not 100% but as my Dr said over 90% just waiting for the next EMG an 8/12. Had "dirty EMG" 2 months ago just not in enough limbs to meet all of the Clinical criteria yet. Anyway my wife and I feel that there will be a time when we have to tell them but until it becomes obvious I have issues we are going to allow them to keep their innocence of their childhood.

Best of luck to you and your family and may God Bless you all.

My wife (49) was diagnosed 3 months ago. We told our kids (13 and 16) within the first week.

Her symptoms were progressively getting worse, and our friends and family knew we were struggling with getting any kind of a diagnosis. We could not keep up the charade of telling them we still don't know anything much longer, so we made a decision to inform people in the following order: Kids, extended family, friends, and then work. We had to tell the kids before anyone else. Otherwise there was a risk they would hear it from someone else.

It was tough, but the kids have so far really stepped up and have been supportive.

Pk Diesel,

My 49 year old husband was diagnosed in the middle of April. Our stories sound the same. We did the same thing - kids, family friends, then work. Our kids are 15 and 18. We didn't want to risk them overhearing either.

When it comes to the kids I agree don't hide things from them but don't burden them either. My kids (13,11 and 8) know the diagnosis and have since the beginning 8-2007. However we have NOT had the death conversation and I believe until Don is on a respirator and the risk factors jump tenfold no need to stress them out. It is bad enough the PALS and CALS have to awake everyday and think what is or could happen today? Kids do not need to do that way to much stress let them be kids and try to keep as much normalacy as possible. Let their friends come over, let them continue to play sports, etc it helps the PALS as well to see that they are not effecting the dymanics of normalacy. We talk about death and the kids can ask any questions they want to about it and they know their dad is going to die but in our household we have alot of faith and explain to the kids everyone is going to die and no one knows when or how. HERE TODAY GONE TOMORROW. God Bless the children of the PALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back