Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
OK
City
Tulsa
This past week, my Mom has started to become more tired.

She has plateaued over the last 3-4 months and then just like a light switch... she has started to become more and more tired.

An example: I usually go to her house at 9:30 a.m. for her first tube feeding. She is ALWAYS awake and in her living room watching Regis and Kelly... but this past week, she was still asleep in bed when I came over.

Another example: I try and get her out of the house at least once a week. She can not use her arms but her legs are still strong. She usually LOVES these outings, even though she only has the strength to walk around for about 30 minutes. This week, she just wanted to stay in the car... she said she was too tired to get out of the car. She loved buying her weekly powerball ticket... and this time... she sent me inside to buy it for her.

I am thinking we are seeing another decline... and then hopefully another plateau... but I have no idea how long or far this current decline will last.

Has anyone else experienced something similar... if so... what was the outcome?

Thanks.

I just read your post and am feeling the exact same thing. Over the last two weeks my brother has not really left the house and is sleeping more and more. He looks terrible and one of his arms is a lot weaker - he can no longer lift it above his head.

Like you we are also hoping for a plateau - I think as much as we try to predict - it is useless. When your mum sleeps does she sleep soundly? I know my brother has difficulty getting comfortable and because he is so thin it hurts him I think.

Does your mum still speak?

Unfortunately, that is how this disease is. You never really know from day to day that's why it is so important to live in the moment. At our last clinic appt, 3 months ago, Mom was still walking. Now she can barely stand. I hate this evil thing.

My Mom still speaks... but barely. I have to really pay attention and listen closely to hear her. I don't think I would understand her over the telephone.

I am going to monitor her decline closely this week to see if she continues to slide down or levels off.

This disease is evil... no question about that.

I just read your post and am feeling the exact same thing. Over the last two weeks my brother has not really left the house and is sleeping more and more. He looks terrible and one of his arms is a lot weaker - he can no longer lift it above his head.

Like you we are also hoping for a plateau - I think as much as we try to predict - it is useless. When your mum sleeps does she sleep soundly? I know my brother has difficulty getting comfortable and because he is so thin it hurts him I think.

Does your mum still speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back