Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
OK
City
Tulsa
My Mom's ALS has affected her upper body. So much, that she uses a peg tube and has pretty much lost use of both of her hands/arms.

So when she has a bowel movement, I have to clean her.

My question is this (and I will try and be as discreet as possible):

Even when she has a very small bowel movement... it doesn't seem like I can get her 100% clean. I use a combination of toilet paper and adult flushable wet wipes and it seems like no matter how much I wipe... it is never fully clean.

I am wondering if ALS affects the muscles in her bowels and the weakening may cause "leakage" or something like that... but I am not sure.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so, is there anything that can be done about it?

Thanks

First thing I would recommend is a bidet seat. It helps ... a lot. Look at the BioBidet 1000 as an example, that's what I have. To you question, it's not normally an issue but can be.

I use soap and washcloths (Walmart 18 for $4) and put them in a good old diaper pail and on to a clorox wash. Make sure you really wash all of the soap off and use one for drying. This works great. I takes about 6 - 8 washcloths each time, but it works better, is less expensive, and less abrasive.

we have the same problem, Rob is a big Man , his muscles have changed (relaxed) and he can no longer push it all out. He sometimes needs a reminder to sit just a few more min. sometimes that helps.

We have the same problem with my husband who is totally bedridden, and seem to use half a package of wipes each time he goes. I noticed a change in his bowels a few months back regarding amount and I believe it was due to the muscle change - at least that's what I was told. When he's on the antibiotic, Cipro, the number of times per day also increases. I'll try the wash clothes, now - thanks....

I agree with Jeff on the bidet seat. We got one about 8 months ago because my wife is like your mom with no use of her hands or arms at all. It wasn't cheap but is was the best $500 we've spent in awhile. Ours has two differant wands for cleaning differant spots (if you know what I mean) plus adjustable water temp. and pressure as well as a forced air drier and a heated seat. It makes everything hands free.

Wow - this is great information. I'll make sure my mom and dad read this. Thanks!

I just watched the BB 1,000 demo on Youtube.... it looks great and I am going to look into it. Thank you!

My friend has no use of her arms or hands either, she gets constipated once in awhile but we give her some senna and doucosate (laxative and stool softner) and it really helps her to go. I dont have a problem cleaning her. I use the wet wipes as well and usually one or two do the trick. This is so odd how every person with ALS seems to be different. Im still wondering about her voice? It is very weak I can still understand her, but barely. Somedays she talks normally, others she doesnt. Does anyone know what the tell tale sign is that I should look for when she's going to loose her voice? I am so sad about this, I want to know when is the last conversation we will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back