Diagnosis
08/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
Bloomingdale
Just wondering if anyone knows of a product for bipap that is portable and runs on batteries. Don has been granted a wish from the Dream FOundation to go to the Harry Potter Theme Park in July. We must be crazy. So anyway the heat and humidity are very difficult on his breathing and he is starting to get anxious about that. He is much more comfort when he has it on or knows it is near if he is struggling. I did call the respiratory therapist but she is can we say on the simple side and is clueless. She told me no there is nothing like that tat runs on batteries. Are you kidding me so what happens if you have a major power outage? This is scary if that is really true. Thanks to anyone with more knowledge then I.

Jodi

You can use a battery booster device. I can't think of the exact name right now, but you can get them at Walmart, Pepboys anywhere like that . Check in either automotive section, or camping. You charge it up via plugging into electric outlet, then can use it to power the bipap. (without the humidifier,) even charge your cell phone while traveling, (or start your car if there is a dead battery, its primary intended use)

You will also need a device to convert the current from ac to dc. In the end, what I did was to take the battery booster and bipap with me into Radio Shack, and they gave me the right converter.

We use this when we go camping for my bipap.

Just a note, first time I thought the device was fully charged, it reallly wasn't. I think the full charge indicator light turned green, so we thought it was good to go. Only lasted about 45 minutes. Expect the intital charge of the battery booster to take several hours plugged in at home.

The entire cost was under $100.

Good luck! I hope you all have a wonderful time.

thank you Rose for the information I will check into it tomorrow. Also sorry had I read the section prior to posting I would have seen everyones post about the above. I guess I don't visit that section often but will start alot of good information regarding ideas and equipment.

we got a battery pack and converter that we put in a backpack hooked on the back of the wheelchair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back